Husqvarna R53SV, any opinions?

Big T

Hiya,

Im in the market for a new mower, would like variable speed, collect and mulch. I have come across the Husky R53SV, it comes in at around £400 and does all I want (variable speed, mulch, collect and side discharge). I know its not a Commercial mower but I will mostly be doing small domestic work so it might fit the bill. Has anyone used one? Are they any good? I have read about the wheels being a little flimsy but if thats all that goes wrong with them then I might go for it!

Regards,

Anthony.

We use one to cut the local community garden/graveyard. About three quarters of a hectare. Multi users. cutting about every 10 to 12 days in the season. Grass pickup is good but use it mainly on the highest setting possible and use the mulching capabilities. It's going into its third season and I'm hoping it will last, but not hopeful. Some operators are not as careful as others. Damage has included a left drive wheel falling off (due to hitting a grave stone probably) and now the metal underskirt (hope that is the correct term) is beginning to disintegrate so it doesn't quite mulch as well as it used to. The only other maintenance has been oil changes.

For what you want it for I'd say it would be excellent but for us we should have gone for (at least) the basic pro model. The Honda engine is great.

Have a old R150s bough from new husky mower for home use, & its pretty poor quality imo.

Deck has coroded all the way through at the back on top so some grass flies out, the orange paint on deck mostly fell off it within a few months if i remember right, handles snapped off had to bodge a mend, self drive has gone. "Mulch plug" thing doesn't work unless grass is very very short.

B & S engine not very good.

Quite good & picking up wet grass though, & its still going after yrs of abuse

i have a r53sv, had it about 3 years now, we've given it some stick on some of the jobs and havent had replace a single part! i know these are really only domestic mowers but i think there brill. only thing that really really pissis me off is the honda engine, i have had so much trouble with it, the fuel jets keep getting blocked up i have now put a seperate fuel inline filter on the pipe from the tank and seems to have helped so far... this wouldnt stop me buying another tho...