countryfile/hedgelaying

hedgesparrow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point hedgesparrow.

the bloke who taught him was speaking to my landlord and said he had layed around 6 or 700 metres so far and he is very competent!

i also heard about his nice coat silky :)

that will be John Savings of oxford one of the top cutters in the country and fortunet to have had a training day with him worth going on a course with John learn a lot if you want to lay midland style. but other very good cutters South of England hedgelaying do training days and they have a few who go to highgrove for the comp plus the guys you know. and surrey hedgelaying society have got one or two who have been to charles pad. love to go need to win some big comps. or go as a caddy for a hedge layer.

Prince Charles is the patron of the national hedgelaying society. if you looked close you will see he has his badge on his coat with his gold bar underneath.

very few have one of them. given to those who have given and supported hedgelaying. or for long service in hedgelaying.

i have done some hedge laying but there are very few hedges that you could lay round our way sa they all been flailed for years

not seen a hedge yet that could not be laid even hard flailed ones. i did a 60 year old blackthorn that was flailed nearly to death but laid it now growing its slow coming back but its got its life back. keep flailing them and in the end just die from rot and disease and then you have no hedge. so more laid hedges and leave the flail in the shed. to rot

i totally agree and i am to do our own hedges but ivy and this on our farm but i also would like my own flail so i can do them our shelfs as they dont tapper the faces so they are full of holes at the bottom, and a solid mat at the top, but they also need stock to clean them out in the winter to remove excess ivy