Elm tree reduction ?

haljam

Hi, I have been asked to do a reduction (pretty severe) on two adjacent Elm trees in West wales. (might just be one tree - i haven't seen it yet). Client is very keen to keep the trees as healthy as possible, but his neighbour is worried about damage to his property should they fail. Apparently they are desease free at the moment, but his consevatory is a potential target.

My question -Is it too late this year to do a reduction? - many trees round here are starting to show signs of life, so the saps rising. My gut feeling is it would be better to leave it until november, but I don't know if there is any sound reason to postpone. never worked on Elm before.

Any advice as to how to tackle it?

IMG_0488.jpg.23b3bafd493aab754b4689ce4318d76d.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, if the client wants to keep the trees as healthy as possible & the neighbour is worried about the potential damage they may cause if the were to fail then i would suggest the client has a report carried out on the trees.

That way if no work is required then the trees will stay healthier if they're not pruned. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your comments

The trees are mid way between Carmarthen and Cross hands. Can anyone recommend someone who could do a survey?

Part of the problem is there was a tree failure this winter in the snow of an very old big (10m high) apple tree, that fell into the neighbour's garden. He is now paranoid and giving my client hassle.

Any thoughts from you guys on the original question regarding timing?. Unless there is iminent danger is it always best to do a reduction in the dormant season on deciduous trees?

Many thanks for shareing your knowledge / thoughts.

I agree with Defenderjack, there are still hundreds in Brighton & Hove in the streets & parks.

With regards to your question on correct timing of reduction,I believe I am correct in saying that optimum time for pruning in order to facilitate codit would be early spring to before initial leaf flush...so now would probably be pretty good..but,if you can persuade a delicate tip reduction,rather than anything heavy,then all the better.

I agree with Defenderjack, there are still hundreds in Brighton & Hove in the streets & parks.

Brighton is a different case, it is protected by The Downs.

Plus there is some very clever use of dead trunks to attract the beetle then removal to burn once eggs have been laid. (or something)

Hence the signs saying something like "you are entering a DED protection area or sommat on roads leading in.

I