Career Change !!!

Urban-rustic

Hi all,

I am considering a career change to work in the tree work industry. I've recently done my CS30 and basic 1st aid and am looking for a start with somebody, preferably doing some weekend work to get some experience 1st.

There are a few things I am unsure of though.

1) Is everybody in this industry self employed or are there some firms who employ workers on a full time basis.

2) What are the going rates for different jobs etc.

3) Can anyone suggest or do they know of companies taking inexperienced people on trial.

Many thanks,

Pete:thumbup:

First question, what age are you?

Second question, what have you been doing up to now?

You can go self employed and work direct or sub to other firms, or you can get a job on the books, it's much the same as any other industry in that respect.

Good luck with everything :thumbup1:

Thanks for the reply,

I am 48, have worked in the transport industry most of my working life but am now getting bored with that. I spent 2 years working as acommercial diver, mostly on the fish farms on the west coast of scotland.

Looking for a new challenge and am based in Stockport.

Cheers,

Pete:thumbup:

48 eh?

Don't underestimate how hard work tree work is. I'm 43 and a commercial gardener, this winter I've done my cs38 and today is my assessment for my cs39. This week during my training I've had my legs in places I didn't know I could..

But go for it like I am, I know I'll never be the fastest but it's a useful add on for my company.

Good luck!

If you really want it, go for it. I'm guessing as a diver you are fairly healthy, which is handy.

Definitely give it a go - there's nothing like getting to know all sides of the industry but it might be an idea to get some vocational qualifications, like the RFS cert in conjunction with your tickets. Or if you've got a wee bit of money and 9 weeks to spare I'd recommend the very very good Tree Surgery For Craftsmen course at Merrist Wood - you'll get your basic tickets (CS30, 31, 38 & 39) and a good solid foundation in arb knowledge. The better you know trees the better your work will be :thumbup1:

Also, the more qualifications you have the more employable you'll be or if you go self-employed, you'll be more eligible for better paying contracts, etc. And when, or if, your body gives up you can move into consultancy.

Good luck with it all :thumbup:

I'm 50+ Got made redundant and now run my own garden rescue landscape and general domestic maintenance service. Should have done it years ago, its hard graft but everyday is different and I don't have the monkey on my back. Go for it and good luck.