Leveling for new lawn.

Quercus-90

Hi All,

Tend to stay away from ground work, but agood customer has contacted me so got to do this one.

The job is to re turf and level whole garden aprox 150ft x 40ft. I have access to a bobcat and or a mini digger.

So way i would do it is, roundup old lawn, once dead remove top layer with mini digger? and skip it. bit of top soil down then turf and bobs your grandma!?

agree gentlemen?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why bother with the roundup if your taking the top off?? Remove top with a turf cutter and skip. rotavate & level sub base. Lay Turf .. Simples...

just makes removing old lawn allot easier. turf cutter takes looooong :P!

if i drop down some topsoil, surely i wont need to rotavate??

Roundup then just rotavate the whole lot in with a decent rotavator, after a few passes there will be hardly anything left of the old lawn, any bits left just rake out as you are leveling it

Saves the agro of removing and getting rid of the old lawn, and that will be a lot to get rid of.

round up

once dead rotovate in why romove good top soil to replace it with more????

as said above once the rotovator has gone over 2 or 3 times theres nothing of the old lawn left!!!

just rake it out level compact & lay new turf!!

you will want to rotovate the ground to help with drianage!!

also if the ground is mainly clay rotovate in some sharp sand!!

I work on two estates and prefer terra firma a bit more these days. sounds like existing lawn is knackered which could be a poor soil or related problem. I'd scalp turf off with digger, rotorvate deep as you can to relieve compaction, level site and rake in a pre seed fertiliser and turf the fertiliser. This will help if he's got poor soil.

Wouldn't glyphosate, just remove turf, rotorvate deep, rake any crap off the top, level, add a bit of new soil (ideally 50% sand, 50% organic matter), rake out smooth, and turf! And don't forget to do it like brickwork, takes better!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Existing lawn isn't knackered as such, they've just had an extension so the back garden has been trashed! And the previous owners had a shed and veg patch and the areas are to be turfed over.

Seems well drained enough, but as said, if I feel it necessary after removing old lawn, I may work in some sand/loam. :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App