Hedge laying pricing

mini_andi@msn.com

Why not try BTCV and get it done as a task in the local programme? If you are interested I'm sure you go join in to learn how its done for the future. Thats what I did many year ago, was trained up by and old boy from Lancashire and then spent many weeks on National Tasks teaching others.

Great work when it comes up.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive looked at this hedge over and over again, its got huge owd stows in it and the stocks are fairly far apart, its almost a row of hawthorn trees now as opposed to a hedge, that's why im reserved about doing it TBH. Think its going to look a mess. lol

will not look a mess just need someone with a bit of experiance in laying old hedge and using chain saw. it wil lay give it a couple of years and will look good leave and it will just go out of hand be flailed to death and end of a nice old hedge. yo have had some posts take them up and go and look and price it up. be worth it and so satisfying to see it done

its supricing what you can get back looking like a hedge once more . may not be the easiest hedge to do but sometimes there the most rewarding and definatly the ones you learn the most on post some pics of im sure you will get even more advice and what is do able cant see it being a mess though

get hold of g,day spruce. look at job price it up you help pulling brash out. learn how to lay hedge. never know may get more work off it. can ask g day spruce for a hand your both winners. and never say a hedge is past it. number on here have laid 30ft stuff which is trees. but lays ok. let us all know how you get on

Look in the pictures section theres plenty on there from hedgers, which have brought or will bring knackered hedges back to life.

Start n stopping dates here .

Ive just always gone September through to end of March, unless like HS said you have a over run cos of weather etc.

september & March change over time for me few days of each depending on weather and work load hedges to grass or anything else.

at this moment in time a 2 day job left & 2 contests

Ive been laying a good old hedge which has a good proportion of hawthorne but also a fair number of biggish proper trees, up to 8 - 10 inches diameter. Also big gaps like you said. Dont despair, it all comes out in the wash. An old layer once said to me "you can only lay what you've got". Its true.. lay it as you find it.. take each stem afresh and treat it individually. Use a billhook, a pleaching axe or a chainsaw depending on the thickness of the stem.. Give it your best shot.. whatever you do to it will not be as bad as if you leave it, or flail it.

In a couple of seasons it will all be covered in fresh new growth anyway and all the gaps will fill up.

Pricing? Make sure you price for stakes and binders, and for clearing the brash (no small task - best is to burn on site). I'd do it for 5-7 quid a metre if somebody else would

clear up behind me!

Timing? For the last few weeks I've had constant company form the usual robins and wrens. Just noticed last weekend the little blighters are collecting twigs. Even a pair of buzzards *getting acquainted* in the bushes downstream from me, so it wont e long before we have to stop for the nesting season. I reckon thats it until August for me.

re: the comments about helping out.. yep.. always happy to give advice, help or criticism in the Midlands style and West Mids area.

Old Ron

hi brassraptor good to see another cutter on board getting quite a number now and good to see the hedges laid. got to finish off this hazel hedge washed out today. so will crack on tomorow. then as you say that be it for year untill september, but if any cutters local will be at the countryside day at sparsholt in mAY believe its the 18th we will be demonstrating hedgelaying so if you want to come along for a cuppa and a chat more than welcome. good day out.