Hedge laying pricing

mini_andi@msn.com

I'm sure, I read somewhere, you can go up to April 30th? Or used to be able to anyway.

official date is 1st of march when birds are supposed to start nesting then the 1st of September. but if already on a hedge you can see what is going on but things are budding so couple of weeks and that be it for the year. apart from demo hedges with dummy hedges. got one to do this year. in may.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Cross Compliance guidelines you can lay up to the end of march closed season for hedge cutting with a flail is 1st march til 1st August.

Price wise, I start from £5 m if the customer supplies the stakes and go up to £9 per metre if I supply stakes/big rough hedge, burning up is extra at £1 m if over 100 metres or on price if less

According to the Cross Compliance guidelines you can lay up to the end of march closed season for hedge cutting with a flail is 1st march til 1st August.

Price wise, I start from £5 m if the customer supplies the stakes and go up to £9 per metre if I supply stakes/big rough hedge, burning up is extra at £1 m if over 100 metres or on price if less

This is where I got my information from http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/news/2011feb.pdf

It is dated from 2011 though so not sure if things have changed since then?

£7.50 TO £8.00 here windrow brush client supply's stakes but were doing less every year as its not in farm grants scheme now.

same all around with grants going less hedges being laid. if hedgelayer is not working then coppcing is not being done it has a knock on. but its not just hedges friend is a coppicer has had no orders for thatching spars this year. and only doing a few hurdles. so quiet all around. and they give out grants to manage woodlands but missed out hedges.they want woodlands managed but hazel woods are becoming neglected and falling into disrepair. need a rethink by the forestry commission's on the grants

Been that way for a few years I used to do at least 1500m a winter under Countryside Stewardship and would always be booked up for the year ahead plus associated works, fencing, coppicing, planting etc. The hedges I'm doing at the minute are on ELS grant through English Nature, difference with these ones is if you dont complete the capital works in the year their allotted then they don't roll over to next year the money goes back in the pot and the landowner doesnt get the grant hence currently working like a loony :001_cool:

There's an old boy in Congleton that does hedgelaying . If your interested I could dig his number out .

ive looked at this hedge over and over again, its got huge owd stows in it and the stocks are fairly far apart, its almost a row of hawthorn trees now as opposed to a hedge, that's why im reserved about doing it TBH. Think its going to look a mess. lol