What has SRT done for you.

I use it occasionally for access, but as Matty said, I really enjoy my ropeguide and VT setup.

One thing puzzles me though...

Both Ian and Adam have said they are not using as much energy, more efficient etc, yet have both gained inches or lost inches due to being fitter.

If Ddrt is harder on the body and generally harder work, how has the SRT switch had so many positive benefits? Were you doing the Ddrt correctly.?

Its because im using bigger muscles groups more i guess and my core more. So being a 35% of the time consultant when i do climb i lose weight unlike the day in day out guys. My biceps have lost weight but my triceps have got noticeably bigger and my core is more toned and stronger. When i used drt my arms and shoulders were big.

As for the comment on redirects id go with yes and no. Yes some people can manage a crown without the need for re-directs but when i talk about re-directs i really mean creating a new COG on the tips so i remove the pendulum angle and im able to work the whole side just by ascending and desending the line. So for me i can access a larger work area with a horizontal line rather than working a sloping line. But as for do i think drt can do exactly the same No becuase i personally think i get a better work position and Yes i think srt for me is quicker in the crown except on some jobs where i will use drt.

A large waffle but hopefully everyone can understand it.

As for the DRT vs SRT thingy id like to add Platform :001_rolleyes:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the DRT vs SRT thingy id like to add Platform :001_rolleyes:

And jet pack..... Can't forget that..... :001_huh::biggrin:

Last time I was out I used both ddrt and SRT.

In the morning I threw a line up, climbed, set the multisaver and worked a few small trees ddrt, it was great. I love my hitch climber and vt.:thumbup1:

Then later on, on something a bit more awkward and involved, with a not at all climbable stem I base anchored a single line, set up the wrench on a vt with a pinto and worked the tree SRT. This was also great.:thumbup:

If I thought ddrt would have been better in that application I'd have used it. But looking the tree and what I had to do I decided SRT would be more efficient and less damaging. I really appreciate having the choice.

I'm not the worlds best climber, I don't do it enough to be like popeye, so anything which eases it for me and makes my work more efficient is alright in my book. I still like ddrt, and I've invested too much in it to abandon it, never minding the fact that in so many situations it's perfect, but SRT has opened a world of possibilities for me and there's no way I'd drop it from my kit bag now, I have definitely seen the light! :biggrin:

have used SRT for access into taller trees pretty much from day 1 of my time climbing trees (base tie off/Petzl and Jumar ascenders), there have been times in the past where I was using it for access every 2nd day or so (climbing in the US) it's an excellent way to get into taller trees without having to isolate your throwline like you do when footlocking a doubled rope.

These days, for access into taller trees, I use a mix of SRT and double rope footlocking (joined Petzl ascenders) depending on how well I can isolate the throwline.

Re SRT work positioning, not keen on it, prefer the feel and look of DbRT. Also despise the whole base tie off thing for SRTWP and generally think it's a very bad idea for so many different reasons. Would never do it. Top tie in SRTWP yes.

Edited by Steve Bullman

Also despise the whole base tie off thing for SRTWP and generally think it's a very bad idea for so many different reasons. Would never do it. Top tie in SRTWP yes.

I'll buy that.. the only time I'll work off a base anchor is if there are only a couple of targets and I can set the "down leg" well away from where im cutting. Still very useful for quick jobs like clearing a hanger etc:001_smile:

SRT has opened new doors and opportunities to access trees that couldn't have been accessed any other way before except using spikes. Also with the lack of added friction has helped my production time along with less frustration and more energy at the end of the day. I love knowing I am on the cutting edge of tree climbing. I feel it gives me an advantage over my competition! I use both Ddrt and Srt for climbing. Cheers!

As for the comment on redirects id go with yes and no. Yes some people can manage a crown without the need for re-directs but when i talk about re-directs i really mean creating a new COG on the tips so i remove the pendulum angle and im able to work the whole side just by ascending and desending the line. So for me i can access a larger work area with a horizontal line rather than working a sloping line. But as for do i think drt can do exactly the same No becuase i personally think i get a better work position and Yes i think srt for me is quicker in the crown except on some jobs where i will use drt.

Well put & just what I am discovering the benefits of on srtwp climbs.

Every days' a school day in many ways..

...Reinvented my climbing style, I look at trees now in a totally different way,...:

This. :thumbup1:

I thought I could and should do better than making grouchy old guy remarks and odd references. The above portion of Adam's post is what SRWP has done for me, and anyone that tries SRWP without a willingness to do the same is just wasting their time because they will not be utilizing its differences.

By the way SRT access-only systems have been in use ever since I first started climbing but being proficient in their use will do little for understanding the potential that the new WP tools are capable of.

The fundamental difference is not the reduction of friction, though that is nice, but the fact that one uses a static rope system and one uses a dynamic rope system. I am not talking here about whether the rope is stretchy or not but that in DdRT the rope is a moving part of the system and must remain so to accomplish in-tree movement. This requirement limits the ability to alter or control forces placed on redirects. Because the rope must move freely the sum and direction of the load will be calculated as in a rope/pulley change of direction.

With a static rope system you have more choices. For instance, when working on the outside edges off a wide canopy tree, small limbs that would ordinarily not be used because they would ofter little to no support, due to pulley dynamics, can be joined by the static rope and made quite strong, similar to an elaborate cabling system. A redirect point can even be made fully static by taking a byte of your line and taking a turn or two around the redirect point ( you don't even need to go over a crotch ) and clipping it back onto itself.

This is just one of many differences that must be understood/relearned and then utilized in order to benefit from the changes made available by an SRWP system.

Dave