will it work?

rossl

Now then. Inspired by all of this milling chat and planning to gave a go. I think I'm going to get an Alaskan and wanted to get your thoughts on the following:

Where can you buy them? Anywhere better than just googling?

I'm going to use an old dolmar123 with a stihl duramatic 25in bar, bad idea?!

With a 25in bar what size Alaskan?

Mainly a weekend warrior who wants to cut fence posts from pine/latch, but also mill interesting bits from my woodland.

Oh, and finally, lleylandii, worth milling? I have some biguns and reckon they may work like cedar, but no idea really...

What's the worst that could happen?! Don't answer that...

Now then. Inspired by all of this milling chat and planning to gave a go. I think I'm going to get an Alaskan and wanted to get your thoughts on the following:

Where can you buy them? Anywhere better than just googling?

I'm going to use an old dolmar123 with a stihl duramatic 25in bar, bad idea?!

With a 25in bar what size Alaskan?

Oh, and finally, lleylandii, worth milling? I have some biguns and reckon they may work like cedar, but no idea really...

Welcome to the backwoods world! Lots of questions there so my thoughts are:

Buy from chainsawbars.co.uk, Rob D's the sole importer of Granberg mills so go through him for kit. You also get 10% discount when you mention (pre-sale) you're an arbtalker.

Dolmar 123? Am I reading 70cc, right? Should be fine on smaller logs, green as possible when milling remember. You'll want custom rip chain for that bar too. You'll probably not get much more length out of a lower powered saw, most alaskans over 30" use a 084/088 MS880 powerhead, but get a 30" mill anyhow if you're doing a lot of softwood (you meant larch, right? Otherwise I wanna see this latch tree!) - it's more of a buttery cut. That way you may be able to squeeze a 30-32" bar out of your Dolmar. If you take your dogging spikes off you'll get a little more length out of the bar, but you still lose 4" or so clamping the mill onto the bar.

As for Leylandii...not a scooby I'm afraid! Pretty fibrous if I recall. Try 'em! Best of luck mate!

I mostly agree with Rhob. I'm not sure Rob D is the only importer, but he's certainly the cheapest (if you claim your Arbtalk discount!). If you buy your ripping chain from him at the same time you can probably save on the postage too.

I don't know the Dolmar 123, but 70cc on an older, high torque saw will work quite well. I've stuck an 044 (72cc) on a 36" bar before and used it full width for milling. It wasn't a pleasure, but it did it. I would suggest buying the 36" mill and a 28" or 30" bar. You're much better off with a roller nosed bar than a solid nose as the latter takes a fair bit of the power out of the saw, and also tends to get hot more easily which can be a problem on long cuts. Once you've lost the 2" at the dogs end and the 4" at the nose end, plus 1" for each of the mill clamps, a 30" bar will give you about 22" of cut width, which the saw should handle fine.

I've not tried leylandii, but I've seen it used on Grand Designs once and it sanded up nicely so it can't be too bad. It won't be that durable but for internal work I would have thought it should be fine.

Alec

Thanks both, sound advice. The dolmar is 70cc, how do you guys know this sort of thing?! Impressive...

I'll contact the seller you recommend as discount sounds good and I need bar, chain and mill. I'll tell wife I'm investing in our future, sure she'll be delighted.

Wish I could afford an 880 but on the plus side, having never used one I don't know what I'm missing. I love my dolmar, but that says more about the chainsaw I used before I got it.

Thanks both, sound advice. The dolmar is 70cc, how do you guys know this sort of thing?! Impressive...

I'll contact the seller you recommend as discount sounds good and I need bar, chain and mill. I'll tell wife I'm investing in our future, sure she'll be delighted.

Wish I could afford an 880 but on the plus side, having never used one I don't know what I'm missing. I love my dolmar, but that says more about the chainsaw I used before I got it.

I know this sort of thing by reading it on:

Model Profile: 123

This site contains more information than you could ever want on most models!

I suggest buying a bigger mill than you need, probably 36". If you find you enjoy it and end up with a bigger powerhead, you can then run a 41" roller nose bar which will make best use of the mill. In the meantime, the extra length of the connecting bars isn't a problem as they just poke out of the end.

If you do ever look to upgrade, don't write off older Stihls - the 075 or 076 is a very good value powerhead for this kind of thing, as is the 070. Parts availability is excellent (OEM and non-OEM) and they are built to last, just very heavy, which is less of an issue for milling. They can be had for a lot less money than an MS880.

Alec

That one isn't for the faint-hearted! This model has the oil tank built into the front of the crank case and it looks like the seal between them has gone. If so, it's not particularly expensive in parts but you do have to split the crank case to do it and renew all gaskets etc. Probably worth doing the bearing seals at the same time.

It's do-able, but will need the right tools and a fair amount of time.

Alec

I used leylandii to make a chicken house - been very durable. though it is off the ground.

Used it for the framing (with the exceptions of the legs which are silver maple), the floor, the walls are clad in it.

timber also remained very stable.

completely untreated too.

Just started to go a bit algae-fied around the sides that dont get any sun, but as its standing under a large holly and oak hedgrow surrounded by other mature trees at the bottom of the garden in the shade its not surprising after 5 years or more.

Thanks all for the advice, I'll have a go at milling the leylandii and see how I get on. I heard they planted leylandii plantations in NZ and over here its just got a bad press because of the neighbour thing. Do you think it could be milled, treated, then used as shingles? Or bad idea?