Danish phasing out oil & gas heating.

face cord

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show the benefits achieved by district heating and combined heat and power. Pity the UK never followed a similar route allowing the big six to warm the atmosphere rather than our homes in effect paying twice for our electric and heating.

all ways gets me when i drive past drax and i see all that steam wasted:thumbdown:

all ways gets me when i drive past drax and i see all that steam wasted:thumbdown:

If it were steam you wouldn't see it, as it is it's water from the condensing tower that drops the working fluid to ~50C and allows them to utilise an extra bit of power running into the partial vacuum produced.

Yes it still sends about 2/3 of the total energy in the exhaust and vapour but it maximises the amount of energy converted to electricity.

My home town has a commercial district heating scheme running off natural gas and a couple of large reciprocating engines but they are coy about publishing performance figures.

I was involved in a small diesel chp scheme for a classroom and the best conversion we got was 20% fuel cv to electricity but that was a lot to do with oversizing the genset.

A recip engine chp will do about 40% efficiency on power if it's a big engine; the problem I found when I ran one was that there was not enough mix of demand on the heat to get decent load factor - big spikes in load in the morning then nothing throughout the night. Needed incentives in the contract to get customers to change their BMS to constant low level heat.

Don't blame the big six for structural planning decisions which were made about electricity supply in the UK sixty years ago... And from experience, it's hard enough to get consent for a power plant when it's miles away from any population centres, so building CHP assets in uk towns and cities would be ridiculously difficult and time consuming for the companies.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Denmark does not have many trees, but it's not just trees that can be burnt.

Problem is Denmark does not have that much of anything really, they import waste to burn in their incinerators, they import straw to burn as biomass.

Though phasing out fossils seems a good plan, if it means depending on the neighbours supplying waste and biomass (produced by wasteful use of fossil fuel...) it's not really an improvement, or is it?

feel the trick for the future is a diverse range of methods, all adding to a complete solution, bit of solar, wind bio, hydro and hydrogen

That is definately the route that things will take (failing a sudden scientific breakthrough - but then we really are screwed...).

The relatively small scale push for individual energy supply, such as PV, solar thermal, solid fuel, as well as localised stuff like wind and hydro is just the start to relieve the burden as fossil fuels start to run down.

On top of which, we need to adjust back to how our grandparents lived - switching lights off and not having every corner at 21 deg C all day, every day! It is not normal to have just a t-shirt on in winter.

The 20th century oil energy 'blip', that led to our increased standard of living, obviously can't last forever.

One problem is that everyone seems to think that they can just install a wood burner to get round it....

DEAN

• 2 weeks later...

About 6 or 7 years ago when I was in Copenhagen, the city council had just made an edict where all private heating systems were to be replaced with connection to the city grid heating system and every household had to pay about £1500 for the priviledge.

Also you couldn't buy beer in cans only bottles. all canned beer was exported.