The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

so the ZZ...

after or month to 2 months i owed this piece i liked it. at the start i thought this is going to be great for self tending, climbing, all ways the same friction, bites everytime. Some of thoses things are true. But after more use the little problems got too me, too small pulley, hard on damage on ropes, no system for hauling and running over your hand on descent.

so these things added up equalled to be quite a draw back for me. I do lots of climbing and comps, this means i love doing massive swings and jumps, and this gets you burnt ropes and back hand or time pulling the rope through in a straight line. the good features are great self tending, really is like a hitch and bites perfectly everytime. but these dont make up for the rest.

i think if you are doing alot of removals or simple lateral climbing its a good device and these problems will not be as big. Albeit if you havent bought one yet my advice would be wait for Mark 2 and this (SHOULD) be alot better product and maybe little safer.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the ZZ...

after or month to 2 months i owed this piece i liked it. at the start i thought this is going to be great for self tending, climbing, all ways the same friction, bites everytime. Some of thoses things are true. But after more use the little problems got too me, too small pulley, hard on damage on ropes, no system for hauling and running over your hand on descent.

so these things added up equalled to be quite a draw back for me. I do lots of climbing and comps, this means i love doing massive swings and jumps, and this gets you burnt ropes and back hand or time pulling the rope through in a straight line. the good features are great self tending, really is like a hitch and bites perfectly everytime. but these dont make up for the rest.

i think if you are doing alot of removals or simple lateral climbing its a good device and these problems will not be as big. Albeit if you havent bought one yet my advice would be wait for Mark 2 and this (SHOULD) be alot better product and maybe little safer.

Had a real big spreading Oak to climb and I really missed my hitch climber, the third hole, v rig or the ability to clip a karabiner to one leg to create a quick redirect, leaving the tail of my rope over a fork for a quick hitch redirect (to annoying with the zig zig because of that pulley, all these little things that made my life easier.

I do like the ZZ for the majority of work, but I will be getting my hitch out again soon I think.

i must have a diffetrent ZigZag....

Don't get it wrong silky it is a great bit of kit, I'm just being impartial and objective weighing up the pros and cons, Its safe to assume Mog climbs more than me, in the time I've used it I've gone from its amazing to its just a tool and is it better than a hitch.

The simple answer is no a hitch is just so versatile and adaptable and the hitch climber pulley is still in my opinion one of the greatest bits of kit made.

The ZZ still makes me smile on most climbs it work flawlessly and I will continue to use it and reccomend it.

I think that a ZZ Rec climb is in order. This way we can see other peoples rope damage and get people's opinions on the pros and cons of the ZZ. Also a good time to put names to faces. And if people find different techniques better than the ZZ we can also try them. Peoples thoughts????

Jake.

i must have a diffetrent ZigZag....

No mate your zigzag is no different from anyone else's, as is no ones lockjack or spiderjack any different, it is ok to dislike or find fault with or in these lads cases like some features but dislike others, it was the same for me, grew up on a hitch then moved to a lockjack and loved and still do love it to bits, I vowed never to go back to a hitch but here I am! Ok different climbing style but I took something I thought I hated so bad but i turned it into some I love so passionately.... In my eyes I don't care what anyone climbs with as long as there happy safe and get the job done,.

But the hitch will never die! A well tied, set and dressed hitch will never have any flaws...

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk Mobile App

Edited by Adam Bourne

:Dthe Cult of ZigZag will not be beaten! Dexta welcome to perfect harmony of Zz plus 11.7.....its a great rope...:thumbup:

Lord Paul of the Banister 1st Vice Lord of the ZigZag Cult :001_tongue:

Hey Paul, hope your well? you fancy rocking a day on a weekend with those crazy nomadic dudes?? Remember that zipline

Point taken lads....but.....11.7 B.T +Zz is perfection:rolleyes:

Got my ZZ last week along with a nice shiny 11.7 Blue tongue. Have to say i do like it a lot but havent found it self tends as well as it should. I havent really done any big trees since iv had it. Only about 20 foot. How high have you found it starts to self tend?

Paul, a lot of it is how you feed it into the zigzag. If you just beast your way up the tree hand over hand, then unless you have a good amount of rope beneath it wont self tend. If you slow it down a little and make a conscious effort to pull the rope smoothly and straight, directly inline with the top of the zigzag you'll find it self tends far more willingly.