The Art of Zig Zag

silky fox

Right lads I have had a play here is some pictures of the damage on my rope and the conclusion I have come to.first off the damage.ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364329188.922480.jpg.e660ecf93ae9c684e14d6b74cda1c137.jpg

Secondly I found a burr on the 1st groved link at the top of the rack, kind hard to see in the picture.ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364329291.356649.jpg.7270e5d24dd95bd8f3fb2aec739fb7ad.jpg

Once found I load tested to see what Links took most load and it seems the top ones squeeze the rope together which could cause the rope being snagged on the fine burr.ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364329367.206960.jpg.c5430f5d3a2cd0588a27e0b6b19ec425.jpg

My bottom links have smoothed out nicely as the rope runs at a angle over them so I'm going to get some fine paper and remove the sharp edges and burr on the top groved links and hopefully this will do the trick.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1364329169.053796.jpg.2d9fa343d1f66a9436c65dc1870e3ef5.jpg

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your bottom links look way wrong bud. Might have to pull the rope through so its like the top links

Sent using fones4hobbits

There fine mate I pulled the rope out the bottom links to test how much load the tops take.

Ah k lol but shouldn't all the links take the same amount of force?

Sent using fones4hobbits

Yea but the bottoms put a bend in and add friction and the tops seem to clamp the rope as the rope stays more vertical, I believe these are the ones causing damage.

That burr looks bad.

Smoothing it down would be vital IMO.

High scale it's not the line where the brown dirt is that's a light defect its the top corner of the cut out, just incase you was seeing it wrong.:-)

just checked mine too, no burrs no real signs of wear. i also think it could be top top links as they have the sharpest edge.

i would post a photo but just basically shows a new zigzag. i will be contacting petzl this wk.