Rayco Super Jr 1625 Axle Removal

theyeti

For those that are interested, a bit of an update........

The collars in my picture do turn. They turn anti-clockwise as you look at the outboard ie if you were stood in the middle of the axle. Drift them round by about 1/4 turn, then they move on the shaft, which should hammer out. I had to penetrate the collars for about 2 days before they shifted but once they were moving they werent too bad. The shaft comes out easy either side, I found the best way was to use an air hammer. The vibrations seemed better than big whacks with a sledge.

Hope this helps someone in the future if you're ever unlucky enough to do this job!!!

No, the axle sheared just inboard of the wheel bearing so I had to get it out to machine the new bits.

I was speaking to someone today who knows about these things and he reckoned that the over-centre bearings were such a pain in the arse they were only fitted for a short while on the earlier machines. I've come across them on machines I normally work on, but never on a axle bearing wallowing in mud.

Theres more about them here........

Eccentric Locking Collars, V Series

I do a lot of short runs of custom machining. Mainly for bikes and 'pimp my ride' type cars, but I do a fair bit for engineering purposes as well. My background is engineering but I had a 10 year-ish stint in Arb so I have contacts who get me to repair / machine parts for their broken stuff. Always happy to take stuff on.