If your predator breaks down.

Shane

Still researching what grinder to get..... boring but perversely fun.

From experience I know it's obvious that when a machine breaks down (which they do occasionally) if its a push-along design you just push it back to the truck, take it back to the yard etc...

What about tracked machines?

Jo Beau or predators for example- weighing in at the best part of a ton.

If your beast gives up in someones back garden how the heck do you shift it. I'm assuming Mrs Ponsonby-Mind-My-Geraniums wouldn't be too chuffed having hydraulic/engine oil dribbling onto her lawn.

So can they be freewheeled?

Can they be towed by something narrow? Winching?

This may sound pessimistic but at some point you just know it will happen.

Does the clutch on these machines control the drive to the tracks or the cutting wheel, or both ('cos I've heard that the predator clutch is a bit weak so would that leave you stuck).:confused1:

Should this title be "When your Predator next breaks down....":sneaky2:

Nearly all tracked machines have an internal brake in each hub. No engine? No power! We keep a Honda 5hp with a couple of pumps available at GreenMech to rig up a system to get the device onto a lorry and back to GreenMech if the thing cannot be fixed on site.

Mac and Jason once used it to move that MultiTask mulcher we do, after an escapade whereby the driver (me) reversed it into a ditch and the oil pickup went dry!:blushing:

I no my mates company has a big tracked schliesing chipper that broke down the managed to move the flywheel round by hand to move it back onto the trailer, took them ages but they managed it.

Been there, done that, in torrential rain. Twenty minutes to move ten feet

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• 1 month later...

Why is there so much hostility towards preditors? I've used them on and off over the last few years and never had any problems, companies that I know who own them don't ever complain, their usually only impressed with the newer models. To the OP I can ask tomorrow as I'm working with someone who owns one.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive had a grinder pack up in someone rear garden, i tipped it over and hydrolocked the engine with oil and couldn't get it to start :blushing:, after a lot of stressing and scratching heads we managed to plum a hydraulic power pack into it and managed to get it out of garden and on to the trailer.

IMG_0851.jpg.4ff3b5be5f52cd38ee8e7fd36e86ebb7.jpg