File out the gullets .

Stubby

This image from Madsens should describe clearly I think. It should not be a problem when using the correct size file though, unless you're doing that square grind thing our colonial cousins across the pond are so fond off?

Exactly! When using the correct diameter round file, there won't be any "gullet" to file out. This is a non-issue, unless you square grind the chain

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly! When using the correct diameter round file, there won't be any "gullet" to file out. This is a non-issue, unless you square grind the chain

Disagree . Because the file should be 1/5 its dia (20%) above the top plat when sharpening the cutter it never clears out all the gullet . Not a problem for several sharpens but when you get near the end of the cutters life the part of the gullet that's not been taken out will protrude out further that the " working corner " of the cutter and so will rub .

Yes always use a correct sized file and reduce the risk of chain snap. Badly filed gullets become a weak point a stress point on a chain. But the other thing is the side cutter! You have the chisel on the top and then the side cutter You need them both for a nice sharp chain.

I know some folks like to use a bigger file to file the chisel only but even if you have hit a stone or metal and are removing damage you will not be giving the side cutter any love.

This is what I was taught when I served my time as saw doctor at burnroot sawmill. I am not claiming it to be correct and the only way.

Disagree . Because the file should be 1/5 its dia (20%) above the top plat when sharpening the cutter it never clears out all the gullet . Not a problem for several sharpens but when you get near the end of the cutters life the part of the gullet that's not been taken out will protrude out further that the " working corner " of the cutter and so will rub .

Well, I disagree back at you ;)

If you use the correct file diameter, you won't have a problem. Simples!

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Please show me a picture of a chain cutter which has been filed with the appropriate sized file, at the appropriate height, that has left too much material on the side plate. I simply cannot see, how this is possible.

I would have thought the more common problem is filing out too much 'gullett' and also the side plates, getting a little close to the rivets if not careful.

I agree. Which is why you may have to change to a smaller diameter file towards the end of the cutter to avoid filing too much into the side plates, weakening them.

Edited by morten

Same here.

I notice about half way through the life that I need to go back and take the gullet down close to the top of the side plates. Then it cuts much better to the end.

Never broke a chain from it. The only broken teeth I have had were from having the rakers to low and then cutting frozen hardwood.

Same here.

I notice about half way through the life that I need to go back and take the gullet down close to the top of the side plates. Then it cuts much better to the end.

Never broke a chain from it. The only broken teeth I have had were from having the rakers to low and then cutting frozen hardwood.

Ok thamnks . we think the same then . :001_smile:

Well, I disagree back at you ;)

If you use the correct file diameter, you won't have a problem. Simples!

But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Please show me a picture of a chain cutter which has been filed with the appropriate sized file, at the appropriate height, that has left too much material on the side plate. I simply cannot see, how this is possible.

I agree. Which is why you may have to change to a smaller diameter file towards the end of the cutter to avoid filing too much into the side plates, weakening them.

Its to do with the taper . Oh bollox life is tooooo short ..........:thumbup: