SRT+alpine butterfly+redirects

mistahbenn

I used the butterfly & pulley method yesterday to get a slightly higher tip. It was great to be able to install it where & when I wanted midline.

I didn't test its retrievability though, removed it before descent, I was running through 4 natural redirects as well, it was as much as I could do to pull those back.

That's the thing. The reality of retrieving re-directs is horrible because there is so much friction.

The effort of having to retrieve re-directs by climbing back to them is nothing IMO, compared to DdRT with ropes rubbing on branches and poor angles from TIP to climber.:biggrin:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing. The reality of retrieving re-directs is horrible because there is so much friction.

The effort of having to retrieve re-directs by climbing back to them is nothing IMO, compared to DdRT with ropes rubbing on branches and poor angles from TIP to climber.:biggrin:

Exactly right, it's just so easy to work the whole tree SRT, friction free:thumbup:

Even with a pulley at the PSP/TIP to reduce the friction when removing a redirect, I will still only leave one redirect in when leaving the tree. There are times when Ive left 2 or 3 in and ive had to footlock on the pulldown line to get the rope moving. I reckon the best option is to just plan your climb so that you only leave one or no redirects in..

• 1 month later...
what i am also looking for is a redirect wich is possible to remove wilst in the tree. without climbing to it and without loosing your TIP. i don`t think it is possible in a 100% safe way. but i had some ideas.

If you clip crab on you line tip side of you natural redirect with some light waight cord with a weight on the end for ease of reach. to retrive just lanyard in pop a stoper knot in below your hitch pulley to keep it in place on rope , then pull on the cord to pull your hitch up thought the redirect and back to you . Keeping hold of both the tail end and cord will prevent you hitch getting stuck out of reach. That wat I would do to acheve what your asking. Disadvantaged beaing geting hitch stuck In narrow crouch out of reach so wont be applicable in many situations

But I have only done a cople of srt climbs my self