SRT+alpine butterfly+redirects

mistahbenn

How can you have multiple 'retrievable' redirects Dave...?

I think you might be over-thinking this a bit. Because this discussion is about SRT redirects or changes in suspension point angles, redirects can, in most cases, be achieved by something as simple as running your line through an appropriate crotch. This is one of the great beauties of SRWP.

Dave

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you might be over-thinking this a bit. Because this discussion is about SRT redirects or changes in suspension point angles, redirects can, in most cases, be achieved by something as simple as running your line through an appropriate crotch. This is one of the great beauties of SRWP.

Dave

That's OK then! I was overthinking it! :blushing::001_tongue::biggrin: Thanks Dave!

I have a couple of lengths of cord with prusik loops & biners on which I keep in pouch on my harness to use for false crotch redirects if there's nothing handy. I do like the pulley & cinched butterfly though, will be using that, I'm a big fan of midline attachability.....:thumbup1:

YOu install it from the ground as normal and you tie an alpine so it jams on the small ring, then when your finished you pull down on the small ring side and retireve it as normal, no photos im afraid mate. I am on about a cambium saver there is another anchor with just a ring.

oh, i was referring to redirects. Sorry, my mistake.

I like to use the ap as I like to pre load my re-direct on srt at angles that I would not want to re-direct off of as in a more dynamic system, & then terminate it as a tip, so distributing the load among a few semi static points.

It dose require retrieval but I don't mind go getting for the advantages I get from it in certain instances.

What specifically don't you like about this Dan? Is it because it's on a stem rather than horizontal limb and could end up with components cross loaded...?

This set up really appeals to me for the lack of gear needed and the ease of retrieval.....

It may be coincidence or it may be intentional, but both the images Ben posted show fixed sided pulleys rather than swinging side plates..... Is there are reason for that....?

I don't like the idea of having a krab at your psp. Fair enough use them for redi's but if that krab does anything funny, you're on your way down. A ring or mallion is cheaper and safer imo.

im using the blocked cambium saver method at the moment but its an interesting thread as i find setting TIP far more involved than with ddrt. therefore for small bits of climbing i often climb ddrt.

for easy retrival the key must be to not have rope running over TIP (blocked cambium saver style). minor downsides are rope weight pulls rope through as you get close to TIP and cant advance hitch quite as close to TIP for positioning (could get an ajustable length CS to help with this).

these other tie ins mean as you pull to retrieve the end you where climbing on is pulled towards the other until half way potentially adding considerable friction. also not mad on having carabiner at TIP, those who use maillons how do you tighten them or are you just using like a ring?

looking forward to new solutions to this, its got me thinking:confused1:

I use a ring anchor with a pulley to help minimise the friction when pulling out with a natural redirect in place.. The problem with the blocked cambium saver is installing from the ground and the potential for it to get stuck during retrieval. I usually send up a running bowline, ascend and then re anchor at the top with the ring. No drama..

I always cimb with base anchor. ok it has a bit slack sometimes. but i think this is good because even when your at your TIP point you still have a tree hight of rope for breaking your fall. for redirects it would be cool to have compostable material so you can just leave it in the tree ;) dont use it but have been thinking about it.

I used the butterfly & pulley method yesterday to get a slightly higher tip. It was great to be able to install it where & when I wanted midline.

I didn't test its retrievability though, removed it before descent, I was running through 4 natural redirects as well, it was as much as I could do to pull those back.