• Rope wrench lockJack combo
    • Rope Wrench Spiderjack combo
    • Rope wrench Zigzag combo
    • Rope Wrench Unicender combo
    • Unicender
    • HitchHiker
    • other (please state)

Just a curiosity poll really:001_smile:

could you please also give any informative information to the systems you have used and your veiws!

whats your poison then?

how long have you been climbing in the world of SRT?

what has it proved to you about working SRT?

Have you noticed any changes in your climbing style?

have you noticed in physical changes to your body?

thanks

Adam

Edited by Adam Bourne

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you well know Mr Bourne, I'm currently a Unicender man, previously a rw/lj man, previously an srt access man. Srt access wise I've probably been at it for 3 years now, full time SRTWP since October 11, SRTWP rec climbing since August 11.

I love the Lj/rw combo but the fact the uni does it so beautifully in one single item is fanstastic for me. I do have hitch withdrawl every now and then and give it a while on the rw/hc for about a fortnight until I get annoyed that a hitch won't self tend or gums up in the rain:biggrin:

For me, SRTWP makes massive sense as I generally tend work work on trees of the larger end of the scale (not to say I don't do small ones too) I can access quicker, with less physical extertion. With a little forethought and careful throwlining, I can get my TIP, then direct my rope to my first work station, meaning I can start work quicker.

Previous to working SRTWP, I was climibing on a LJ/Pulleysaver, and whilst ergonomic and user friendly, my body did take some abuse. I often ached at night, whereas now, I feel fresh of an evening. SRT means using your legs more, the things that have evolved to carry your weight, so it makes sense to utilise this rather than dragging yourself about with (relatively) puny arm muscles.

With regard to climbing style, it's changed due to the possibility of redirects, today for example, I climbed a willow with the main top cracked out and hanging, and no central tips, I managed to tie in right out one side, redirect a little closer to the middle, then redirect over the top of the hanging top,to the point I could climb up and carefully bring the whole lot down in little bits. Ddrt I would've done it somehow, but Srt it was a breeze, with multiple suspension points in a structurally knackered tree.

SRTWP in my opinion requires a retraining of the brain to route your trees differently, whilst being very careful of redirecting, understanding timber charateristics and most importantly understanding and having a working knowledge of forces in redirects.

A little handy reading;

http://vtio.org.au/Content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Working-the-Angles-i.pdf

http://vtio.org.au/Content/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Introduction-to-Redirects.pdf

Edited by Dan Curtis

I'm very new to srt in general, but really getting on with my wrench and hitch now. I've set up a rope walker using a pantin and croll for access and it really is just like climbing a ladder.

I don't bother switching to ddrt with the wrench, I'm using that line for access only or srtwp. If I want ddrt I set a pulley saver and a separate line to work from.

I'm still fettling the tending of the hitch on ascent, I don't really like the neck elastic concept.....

All in all, apart from a few set up specific shortcomings I personally have I reckon I'm doing ok on it. I'm going to give some serious thought to what redirects I make up, I think that's where SRT can blow ddrt away, the possibilities are endless!

I don't really find the slack tending a particularly big issue, certainly no worse than climbing the tree itself with a doubled rope attached.

I'll tentatively say I'm a convert! :biggrin:

Without derailing this thread I think you either do SRT or DDRT. The fact that we all use abbreviations doesn't help . For example SRTWP, what's that about? You either do or don't use SRT. If you only use it for access fair enough. Rant over!😳

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

SRTWP since feb 12 SRTWA since 07.

Personally for me the best things have been faster and more efficient access to the the crown.

Also being able to direct multiple times without the loss of fricton consistancy and WP easily on the outside of the crown is great.

I know you lose the mechanical advantage of DRT but a loss that i honestly havent really missed.

So now to the body bits.

My core has got much stronger, no more back ache or knackered biceps from climbing up and the RSI's that come with the territory. I feel im about 20-30% quicker on medium to bigger trees, unless its a removal and then im only fractionally quicker because of access times.

Im going to give a uni a go as after seeing dan ascend on it i was really impressed with its slack tendering, just like the RW LJ combo but with none of the sit back.

Without derailing this thread I think you either do SRT or DDRT. The fact that we all use abbreviations doesn't help . For example SRTWP, what's that about? You either do or don't use SRT. If you only use it for access fair enough. Rant over!😳

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Srt can be seen as access Into trees where as SRTWP is single rope technique work position means you work the tree on a single line, this thread is a Srt reference only Ddrt has no part here nether does it have a part in my work climbs, since I started working Srt I've only used Ddrt once when I forgot my wrench and other times to retrieve my top tie in point.