Woodchipper Accident = HSE Prosecution

AA Teccie (Paul)

Paul I was just reading over your Second paragraph which states" clearly in this instance the company knew of the defective chipper and hence it shouldn't have been used But in so doing, as is often the case they should have ensured extra safe guards were in place". At least over here Two wrongs never make a right.:sneaky2:

Weather it be H&S for the UK or OSHA here in the US, I believe this accident would and should of happened due to the gross negligence on the part of the owner of the business and defective and dangerous equipment knowingly being used. Providing additional safe guards for a piece of equipment with known defects is no solution to an accident waiting to happen.

easy-lift guy

Hi there,

I quite agree, "two wrongs, (or even one) don't make a right", but the key failing here was a lack of effective supervision and instruction by the owner not the safety bar issue...although clearly that was a contributory factor. And, whilst no excuse, I'm sure the machine had been used for some time prior by more expereinced and competnet staff without incident.

Paul

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Firm operates in the same area as me. To be honest theres been an accident waiting to happen, I don't think I should say any more about it but look up there web site and watch the mistakes on there advertising vid.

Your reply speaks Volumes for the degree of apathy or little or no regard for a companies equipment being in proper and safe working order. Removing the operator or supervisor from the equation is a mute point since the equipment had a known mechanical defect while still being used:thumbdown:.

easy-lift guy

I had a look at their website and video - considering a company should be going to great lengths to look their best in such circumstances, you'd think chainsaw operators might put a pair of gloves on and pull their visors down...

I particularly liked the bit around 30 seconds in where they pulled the stem over with a rope to release the stuck 460 which he was clinging onto with 1 hand... :lol::lol:

I briefly worked for this company, at the time if the accident. And like someone has posted before me, they were and still are an accident waiting to happen. And to be honest the corners that are cut there are hilarious, I once jumped into one of his vans to take out for the day, I moved the seat back, when I was distracted by the boss for a chat through the window, after 2 or 3 minutes there was smoke coming from under the seat, I looked under and it was on fire, everyone including the boss was running round trying to blame someone rather than actually try to put the fire out! And it turned out the mechanic had just serviced the van but didn't put the battery cover on, the same mechanic who maintains their chippers! I didn't stay there very long!