Post and rail question.

Old Mill Tree Care

Basic question for the experts on here.

I know how much I need to charge a day to run my business but I don't know how much post n rail I can do in a day.

Lets say three men, easy ground, post borer on a mini digger.

I don't know how you guys would measure it but how many posts or rails or 100m would you do in 1hr or 1day, or however you measure it?:001_smile:

Thanks.

Aim for 100mtr a day get tooled up by fabricating a twister for posts. Charge by mtr. Posts are standard 1.8m apart with 3.6m rails. If you do more its more profit. Two of us can do 200mtr on a good day with heavy knocker and paslode 350 nail gun. Standard average national contractor charge is £14.75 per m according to NAAC. Thats with materials for 3 rail.

Edited by Goaty
more info

Basic question for the experts on here.

I know how much I need to charge a day to run my business but I don't know how much post n rail I can do in a day.

Lets say three men, easy ground, post borer on a mini digger.

I don't know how you guys would measure it but how many posts or rails or 100m would you do in 1hr or 1day, or however you measure it?:001_smile:

Thanks.

17 Bays of cleft chestnut 2 rail, 1 man 1 day in fairly rubbish ground, holes all hand dug. (I didnt do it myself, I reckon it would have taken me three days)

If you were knocking with decent set up then I would agree with 100m/day for a 2-man team (56 posts in and railed).

But augering and back filling is much more time consuming:biggrin:

We have just done a load and averaged out at 40 posts/day for a 2-man team. So 72 metres/day.

Hope that helps

Only experience I've had with post hole borers is hand held or tractor mounted both of which were pretty useless unless in soft ground, digger mounted should be better, as we don't usually do big runs usually hand dig and concrete posts in, should manage 10 posts per day per man more on easy digging, that includes mixing and concreting in, back filling with soil tend to end up with them coming loose due to soil movement from wetting and drying, hand done like that works out around £21 per metre thats 3 rail with 7ft 5x3 posts

is it for horses. can go two ways concrete posts in that makes post firm nag leans on rail and it breaks just put posts in and back fill the over time nags lean on rails and post lean over needing to be put back up and packed. i know as i had horses bloody things but love them.

with a digger and post hole borer you could do a lot in a day if just back filling the holes so 100mtr day is posible if digging by hand be hard pushed unless you have a very fit 20plus on shoveler. as son in law and he can dig holes. i can not keep up or do as much as he can in a day.

depends on ground conditions, flint and stone etc will slow you down and can cause the auger to run out if its real bad.

what type of post and rail? face nailed or morticed?

i did 120m of cleft 3 rail on my own in 2 days with a skidsteer and hydraulic borer for doing the holes with, also just done a load of square sawn post and rail with stock netting and averaged 100meters a day in terrible conditions.