Working near railway power lines

MattyF

Tsk, I used to do alot of live LV and HV work so what ever.

I'm not saying either are safer or not, I was always happier with LV.

But not that happy.

I didn't mean to come across as having a dig at you, if you have worked around the lines you will know the the score. I've noticed a few people on here asking about lv or hv and I wouldn't want them to think it was somehow ok to around lv power lines more than hv. People can easily be mistaken by what they read on the interweb !

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I didn't mean to come across as having a dig at you, if you have worked around the lines you will know the the score. I've noticed a few people on here asking about lv or hv and I wouldn't want them to think it was somehow ok to around lv power lines more than hv. People can easily be mistaken by what they read on the interweb !

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

That's not how I took it me babber.:001_smile:

HV .. You can hear them buzzing !!! I was told it can jump in these sorts of lines ? I have worked on trees close before on these lines and been told it was illegal and should of notified net work rail,Would probably end up in prison if I fry my groundie and take out the Cambridge to kings cross line!!

Rail lines are 25kv, treat as 33kv, meaning 2.5m clearance minimum to work by, if you don't have UA2.3 I wouldn't take the job, you only need enter that distance once and you're cooked, but on another note, network rail should be sending their guys, the whole point would have been to get permission

I can't believe that they have asked the landowner to sort out. That is completely irresponsible on their behalf and should be organising and carrying out the work themselves.

If sh'# hits fan, you could end up in a whole world of trouble, especially if insurance don't pay out.

Rail overheads are 25000v and need a distance of 2.75m.

That is just the start of your problems... If line has overheads then its a main line. If you were to cause damage you bill could run into hundreds of thousands.. north east council currently in a law suit where a tree on an estate was felled, this tree hit another sending it onto rail line and was hit by a train causing a lot of damage and also line closure...

Walk away if you don't work on the rails or find a crew who do and NWR will normally get isolations as your doing them a favour..