Working near railway power lines

MattyF

We have been asked to fell some rail side trees on an estate I work for.

These trees have been marked by network rail as unsafe and the land owner asked to deal with them,having looked at the trees today I'm having some major concerns if this is safe for my crew as the outer power cable is within 6-7 meters of two trees that will need rigging.

Is this safe ? I have worked close to these lines before but Personally I'm tempted to walk away but as my client has already waited 4 months for me to get to his site I'm feeling pressured to go ahead any way.

My insurance looking at it also does not look to great as it says that I'm not covered for railway work although it could be argued these are woodland trees.

Any advice appreciated.

Does any body know if network rail are responsible for felling the trees any how?

I was under the impression that if they feel the trees are a threat then it is there problem.

personally I feel there is no immediate danger although there is a slight chance of failure.

This idea that LV is not as dangerous as HV has got to be forgotten. Both will burn and can kill, in a way LV is worse as if you come into contact with it there's a good chance it will hold you on but HV will throw you off.

A few years back I reduced some poplars in a park beside the main London to Brighton line, no overhead power lines but we had to have rail track banksmen give us the ok on the track before we rigged anything on the track side of the trees.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App