Drying floor

gdh

Hi, I'm new around here and looking for some advice. We want to stockpile a few hundred tons of seasoned firewood and are having trouble getting it dry so we're looking at using underfloor heating to dry it from a biomass boiler.

The floors we're looking at are grain floors and I wondered if anyone had any advice on types, cost or just another idea completely?

Edit: We're looking at doing the same with woodchip.

Hi, I'm new around here and looking for some advice. We want to stockpile a few hundred tons of seasoned firewood and are having trouble getting it dry so we're looking at using underfloor heating to dry it from a biomass boiler.

The floors we're looking at are grain floors and I wondered if anyone had any advice on types, cost or just another idea completely?

Edit: We're looking at doing the same with woodchip.

If your logs are seasoned, why do you want to dry them?

Thanks for the reply. We looked at storing in containers and still are a bit but decided a drying floor would be less hassle for large amounts.

If your logs are seasoned, why do you want to dry them?

By seasoned I mean they have been stored in lengths for 12 months then we bring them in and cut them.

The problem is because we are selling more than we can store we have to cut some damp wood and we need a way to dry them, then even when they are dry and stored in a dry shed the moisture starts to get back in so we want to be able to swith a dryer on for a couple of hours at a time and keep the stack dry to avoid mould.

We will probably have a biomass boiler so underfloor heating (with air vent)seems like the best thing for us. We are just looking for advice on any reliable makes or if someone had tried this with a grain floor before.

Havnt tried with logs but it works very well on grain. Are you about the tunnel type with metal grills that have small openings that direct the air away from the doors??

These are good. Attached to a big fan will blast air through whatever is in there. But the draw back I can see for logs is the air will be allowed to travel too much so all air put in by fan will just go straight out the first tunnel and not get to the others. As these floors are designed for grain that is hard to push air through. If that makes sense??

We're looking at the drive on floors with mesh gaps (something like this FLR Crop Drying - Drive-on FloorsVentilated hardwood floors, softwood floors, grain drying floors, root crop storage) but as I have no knowledge of the different types I thought I would ask here.

As you say there might not be enough 'resistance' with logs for the air flow so I was was wondering if there are any floors around where you can block sections. This all is very vague ideas at the moment though.

Thanks for the reply. We looked at storing in containers and still are a bit but decided a drying floor would be less hassle for large amounts.

By seasoned I mean they have been stored in lengths for 12 months then we bring them in and cut them.

The problem is because we are selling more than we can store we have to cut some damp wood and we need a way to dry them, then even when they are dry and stored in a dry shed the moisture starts to get back in so we want to be able to swith a dryer on for a couple of hours at a time and keep the stack dry to avoid mould.

We will probably have a biomass boiler so underfloor heating (with air vent)seems like the best thing for us. We are just looking for advice on any reliable makes or if someone had tried this with a grain floor before.

What sort of lengths and widths