spoons what wood to use

hedgesparrow

being bored with the dark winter nights. and my hedging tools all sharp was looking at making a few things. have some hazel for walking sticks but like to have a go at making spoons. what is good wood and what wood to avoid. and saw about carving knives what are good makes. read the bit about drawing out spoon on wood then cutting down to sart carving . so lets give it a go. do you need seasond wood or is green ok. trust you can advise. like to come on your spoon course but a bit far.

thank you for any help

have some hazel for walking sticks but like to have a go at making spoons. what is good wood and what wood to avoid. and saw about carving knives what are good makes.

I used green sycamore and beech and have some in use for 35 years now

spoons.jpg.d7a815849e1816a87f58404e5b9d86b1.jpg

Top one from a 1974 windblown beech Shere

middle one oak

bottom Sycamore IIRC from alongside Bluebell railway ~76

ive only made a few but do it green - much easier. the thin wood dries out quickly. dont include the pith and it shouldnt split unless you stick it on a radiator!

anything except euc elm -tricky grains or strongly flavoured like oak. close grain best - oak ash hard to clean due to pores.

sycamore and fruit woods are good, beech....

Green wood is the best to use, Hazel is very good wood for spoons, Lime,alder,Birch,sycamore are very good woods.Poplar for larger cooking spoons,Willow for larger cooking spoons. For smaller eating spoons fruit woods are great!. I would avoid woods like yew, Laburnum and pine. tbh you can really use any wood if its a poisonous wood I wouldn't eat with it but it shouldn't stop you giving it a try, I have made some great spoons from Laburnum.

All woods carve differently and some can be a joy to carve (birch lime) others can be difficult or the fibers can tear out (lilac).

Good luck with your carving and dont forget to put some pics up when your done.