First Impressions of the 150T

Dan Curtis

So the last 3 jobs away I've got to have a play with the 150, first impression was amazing light to handle, incredibly light to climb with and even with a 12" or a 10" bar on they still rip through the wood! Albeit you have to let the saw do the work but it's beauty takes away what it lacks in power... Not only is it all the above it really feels robust.. :)

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391620785.993127.jpg.0c01ae479d5427afe6e9ee5e2a694c28.jpg

Don't think I ever want prune another tree with a 200t or similar again!!

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391620814.243830.jpg.7c8b16baf0e1c6723d515e512fe9be95.jpg

Couple of niggly things about it but liveable, well it won't put me of from buying one anyway! But the lanyard ring is horizontal kind of annoying when you use a crab like I do to hook it on your harness! Takes a little getting used to.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391620756.291802.jpg.04bbd711765534819a8d0f3746d0c748.jpg

And another slightly annoying thing is the little choke lever! I had it pushed into choke a couple times leading to it flooding itself...

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1391620734.238192.jpg.09d9f1900c8242a52638d5ceb09875e0.jpg

I really am impressed with it on the whole and as the 200t is still working I may just purchase one of these before I get the T540xp and use it just for reduction work!!! :)

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the last 3 jobs away I've got to have a play with the 150, first impression was amazing light to handle, incredibly light to climb with and even with a 12" or a 10" bar on they still rip through the wood! Albeit you have to let the saw do the work but it's beauty takes away what it lacks in power... Not only is it all the above it really feels robust.. :)

[ATTACH]147848[/ATTACH]

Don't think I ever want prune another tree with a 200t or similar again!!

[ATTACH]147849[/ATTACH]

Couple of niggly things about it but liveable, well it won't put me of from buying one anyway! But the lanyard ring is horizontal kind of annoying when you use a crab like I do to hook it on your harness! Takes a little getting used to.

[ATTACH]147847[/ATTACH]

And another slightly annoying thing is the little choke lever! I had it pushed into choke a couple times leading to it flooding itself...

[ATTACH]147846[/ATTACH]

I really am impressed with it on the whole and as the 200t is still working I may just purchase one of these before I get the T540xp and use it just for reduction work!!! :)

You need a lanyard with a ring in it. Also don't drop it when on a lanyard as the ring is not as tough as a 200t. Maybe get a large caritool :D

You need a lanyard with a ring in it. Also don't drop it when on a lanyard as the ring is not as tough as a 200t. Maybe get a large caritool :D

I like the saw right on my harness I have rings on my lanyards and never ever used them once... There the worst invention ever!! :D

Cool stuff Rich. I'll defiantly be investing mate :)

I've had a play with the Stihl MS 150.

I must admit I scoffed when it was handed to me; "What is this? Stihls latest toy saw?"

I lightly pruned a few birch with it, no probs, then I reduced 3 large pops - chewed through 10in stems easily.

I also used it to deadwood some mature oaks - plenty of ancient staghorn of 8-9in diameter. As Adam says, you have to let it do the work, but it was quite happy chugging through this iron-hard old stuff.

The best thing about it by far is the weight. It's so much lighter than the 020s I generally use, so much so in fact that I hardly knew it was on my belt.

I'm going to get one of these babies, use it for pruning thus prolonging the life of my trusty 020s....

Good work Stihl....

Having used a 200 and seen the press 're 201 my first TP saw purchase was going to be a 150 as Husky v Sthil round here as far as customer service goes means it's Sthil.

It's so light on the harness and to date has coped with ad hoc use on a mix of lime, beech and eucalyptus plus a full day on a mix of ash, beech and oak going thru' 8 inch of oak at the end of the day with no worries on a resharpen.

Yeah, you'll want more grunt eventually, but I think this is not far away from the point that you'll haul a bigger rear handle up. It will have a cross over where the 540 and 201 will work better, but it is a smallish margin.

Russ

had mine a while now but since Christmas its had a proper workout and I've got to say I'm well impressed brilliant pruning saw

will do 10" dia if needed but as stated previously take it easy and a good sharp chain

not took a chance on the ring looped it through the back of the handle