First stab at milling

wisewood

Not strictly true, my first attempt the other week in the woods was not a great success.

However this time I was much better prepared and informed.

Only had time to cut two slabs but will finish tomorrow.

I fixed the ladder by screwing down two planks over the rungs, thus saving my ladder from drilling.

Used the new granberg from RobD on a 3' bar on an 066, I had to trim the side of one end to get through. I really want an 880:laugh1:

All in all a great bit of kit, thanks to Barry and Mark for letting me have a play:thumbup:

IMAG0624.jpg.874d4d0f32b86eefb725ecedb2dde128.jpg

IMAG0622.jpg.50a2705a3f1cff5ed6cf426924963798.jpg

IMAG0618.jpg.73ecb219b939e788c30cb3c8081bbeaf.jpg

IMAG0617.jpg.f154b0ac050b9a6e96ad164d9da10339.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg.f76fa1bbae1f255e845678d070dd8868.jpg

Cheers, can't take credit for the plank idea, saw someone in the states on youtube doing something similar with a home made parallel frame. Thought it would work well with ladders too, and it does :thumbup:

The chain is granberg ripping chain, two sets of cutters then two sets of scorers. Works a great deal better than standard ripping chain, See RobD at chainsawbars on here.

Finished the log today, really enjoyed myself:001_smile:

Si

IMAG0639.jpg.3c4feb8dfcd3a2425ab3bb24132d2474.jpg

IMAG0638.jpg.966f9f805e63cb36ec283ef6c288ea2b.jpg

IMAG0627.jpg.b7a60dd30d61d645b4be9fd3a0daf562.jpg

IMAG0632.jpg.69152eb28758b63ca2e36cd68f962fc4.jpg

IMAG0631.jpg.4691dc2b26c60d17bc3d3a5a8bb282c6.jpg

Some nice looking ash boards you have there. I love that pink tinge it has. I have some similar bits that look like a sunrise. I did some small scale "milling" the other day with my bandsaw and a piece of yew. It is addictive. There is something about the colours when you do that first cut, and you are the first person ever to see that pattern.

Very good first effort - excellent quality milling.

You stickering is good, but just requires a little modification. I am guessing that the boards are about 9.5ft long judging by the pallets. You want to have at least 7 stickers on a board that length, with the end stickers right at the very ends of the boards. You will get more movement there than anywhere else, and a well positioned sticker at the end of the stack will do a lot to prevent end shake. Here are some boards I cut last year as an example:

Untitled.jpg

Otherwise, keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Jonathan

Thanks for the input Jonathan,

I don't fancy re stacking em but I guess I need to. Might do as you did in the pic and lay two boards wide while I'm at it.

Did you go look at that oak in the end?

Nick, thanks mate.

The tree's oak BTW:sneaky2:

Thanks for the input Jonathan,

I don't fancy re stacking em but I guess I need to.

You don't necessarily need to. If you've got more sticks the same thickness you can drive them in between the boards with a mallet, without moving anything - I've done this before when I was short on sticks at the time of milling and had to sort them out afterwards.

Alec

You don't necessarily need to. If you've got more sticks the same thickness you can drive them in between the boards with a mallet, without moving anything - I've done this before when I was short on sticks at the time of milling and had to sort them out afterwards.

Alec

Cool, I'll try that first:thumbup:

Thanks Alec

Having said that, I'll need to re set the pallets, doh!

Edited by wisewood
Kick start brain