IBS, anyone else got? how do u cope?

Rik

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mate I know exactly what you're going through, if you need a chat, pm me and I'll send you my number. Do not suffer on your own.

I don't chase off to work, or race about, or put myself under any pressure at all. Just work at the pace your body will let you. Give yourself time to recover. You're a very ill man now, but things can improve. Get help financially if you qualify, don't be too proud to ask for help if you need it, it reduces the stress.

If you end up needing surgery, talk to me, I've been there and done it, and I'm still here. All the best :thumbup1:

Ay up! I have had IBS since 18, for cramps/spasms, Roobosch (redbush) tea is incredible...knocked the pain straight out of me. Tastes like pond water though so be aware! Also peppermint tea is ace for bloating and gas, you can get both at supermarkets. I would say that "Tick Tock" roobosch is the best, if you can handle the taste whack three tea bags in and drink that. Also, in the case of UC, as someone else mentioned, Aloe vera juice is incredibly soothing to the gut wall. Hope you feel better soon:001_smile:

Edited by jojo

Hi there Rik, I suffered for years with IBS & UC, I'm now fine, maybe once a year I get the first symptoms of UC, but can clear it up in a few days with diet & mind work, rarely needing a small dose of prednisolone for a few days, I was on the verge of loosing my bowels & hospitalised for weeks on end over a couple of years.

It can get a lot better with the right treatment, & learning to eat right & think right.

I too am up for a chat if you need it, I will pm you my phone details mate.

Hi there just stick with it I have had U/C for about 3 years now was told it was IBS but the tablets never worked then last year after a few bad bouts and some more tests they confirmed IBD / UC no drink keep an big eye on the Diet I find hot and spicy food is no good.

Stress is the key you need to keep it out of your life the more stress the worse I get I know this is hard to do but you need to let things go over your head.

You can get back from this as Andy and Geoff have said I sill run my own Business and work most days, just watch out for the stress and food.

Good luck for the future and hope all goes well.

guys cheers so much for all the positiveness. it honestly does help knowing your not on your own... the clear thing i am getting from all of this is that stess seems to play a much bigger role than i realised! i think i need to have a bit of a look at the stress in my life and see if i can get it down as much a possible!

diet wise i had a pretty good diet before but now im being really good, i dont drink, i dont smoke or do drugs of any kind, i dont drink any caffine anymore as ive heard that can be bad, i eat very little processed foods, however im finding it a little hard with the concept of a low res diet, ive always been brought up with the idea that a high fibre diet is really good for the bowels and keeps everything ticking along nicely! still.. when a needs must aye :)

Low res is a good way to rest the bowels, you can't live on it for ever but it will allow you to settle down. Diet wise, it's far easier for me these days with no bowel, I can eat all the nice things like spicy and hot. Downside is veg must be boiled till really sof, can't eat nuts any more, alcohol is not advisable and so on. But I don't really care, I can live a near normal life, ok the energy levels drop off quick, I dehydrate quickly and have a few bad days if I work too hard for too long. But it's all worthwhile, I'm alive and in pretty good health, and I don't need to run to the bog every 5minutes any more. :thumbup: so even if the worst happens and they do operate, you can carry on, just alter things a little to take into consideration your new condition. But we'll deal with that if you ever end up at that stage, most don't.

Father in law has it bad among other things, tried all the tablets didn't help, redbush t was a no go! Now on manuco honey from holend and barrot, spoonful everyday, taste nice even on toast etc and he is so much better even back out irritating the golf course which was impossible for quite a while.

Hypnosis would probably help with the stress it is causing you, you could find decent hypnotherapist and get him to teach you self hypnosis, tbh you can teach yourself if you want to, a good one will teach you in one session so it's not expensive anyway, when I had all my stomach troubles I tried anything and everything and although hypnosis didn't help with the problem it certainly helped with the stress the whole situation was causing.

Some decent relaxation cd's and a quiet dark room is a good start.

• 4 weeks later...