Grass cutting season

Gardenmac

I cut mine all year round as long as its dry.

Seriously doesn't it go yellow with the frost. I'll have to get the mower out from service to get started. Has been a funny season this year, trees haven't been dormant for long and the saps risen and now the grass season is almost back on.

Seriously doesn't it go yellow with the frost. I'll have to get the mower out from service to get started. Has been a funny season this year, trees haven't been dormant for long and the saps risen and now the grass season is almost back on.

I cut mine just before the snow and frost,one morning it was minus 7. Snows all gone now and the grass is perfect, just dont go to low.

Cutting wet soil encourages compaction= moss and poor grass growth. In truth this really doesn't matter anymore. the fine lawns of yesteryear are not so common now.

Before Xmas we laid a lawn on top of snow and frozen soil. Went back to it a week later and the snow was still frozen under the turf. It's now fine and the weeds we introduced are thriving. (Customer wanted a lawn to match his existing) Never done that before because we were trained not to. In reality faced with a deadline and an unfussy customer we have proved that it can be done. Challenge what you think you know.

Most of the rules learned at college for me have been ripped up. I've just not got the man power, machinery and budget to keep the lawns the way they did in them olden days. I'm spending more and more time fixing areas where lorries have cut across the verges.

A tip I use at this time of year is to drop the mower down one step from the highest setting and go round the edge of the lawn then set it to the highest setting and go round the same way but in the width of the mower. For me this gives a neat finish and blends the lawn quite well. Quick edge as well.

I've got alot of daffys naturalised all over the lawns so I have to wait to see where they pop up each year.

I wait till the spring time before I start putting patterns in the grass. As I have a wonderful mix of ryegrass and moss!