Overloaded

Stihlben

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

But where do you draw the line as to how overloaded is "safe" 10% 20% 100% over? 

Perhaps a percentage that doesn't cause the rear spring to snap.

3 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

No clue. One with a 6tonne payload 9 tonne train weight I suppose.

weve all overloaded a bit I suppose (well most of us) as you get older you realise it’s just not worth it I suppose

A Mercedes Vario is as close as you'll get. They have the highest payload available for a 7.5t gross vehicle. When you see the construction of a Vario next to a standard 3.5t pickup, you understand why they are able to carry 4.2t on a daily basis whereas a Transit isn't.

Anyway, my original point stands Jack. You're (regularly) horribly overloading your vehicle because you're too tight to pay for delivery or do two trips. You're defiant when this is pointed out to you, even when you're suffering mechanical failures associated with overloading. Please upgrade your vehicle to something suitable for carrying the loads that you seem intent on regularly carrying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big J said:

A Mercedes Vario is as close as you'll get. They have the highest payload available for a 7.5t gross vehicle. When you see the construction of a Vario next to a standard 3.5t pickup, you understand why they are able to carry 4.2t on a daily basis whereas a Transit isn't.

Anyway, my original point stands Jack. You're (regularly) horribly overloading your vehicle because you're too tight to pay for delivery or do two trips. You're defiant when this is pointed out to you, even when you're suffering mechanical failures associated with overloading. Please upgrade your vehicle to something suitable for carrying the loads that you seem intent on regularly carrying.

My point was more about either having the proper truck (his numbers for weights not mine) or like you say paying for delivery.

shouldnt make any difference anyway as a contractor it’s the client paying not you. So he’s trying to price it cheap and cut corners to make the cheapness up

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

Tbf the truck was recently bought from  the council and it has never been worked so its a shock to it plus the springs used to sit level when it's empty so they were bad weight carriers to start with with delivery it's and hour and a half trip there and the same back so why pay £360 delivery when the blocks were only £120? The thread is called Overloaded eh? This is my contribution and I'm the only person in the thread who's had 2 pages of folk going on about it if I wasn't overloaded I wouldn't of posted I knew exactly what I was doing and the spring snapped but I've ordered better stronger ones so it'll carry weight better that's it ?

Jack 

15 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

My point was more about either having the proper truck (his numbers for weights not mine) or like you say paying for delivery.

shouldnt make any difference anyway as a contractor it’s the client paying not you. So he’s trying to price it cheap and cut corners to make the cheapness up

But why pay 3 x the amount of blocks for delivery? 

Jack 

7 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Tbf the truck was recently bought from  the council and it has never been worked so its a shock to it plus the springs used to sit level when it's empty so they were bad weight carriers to start with with delivery it's and hour and a half trip there and the same back so why pay £360 delivery when the blocks were only £120? The thread is called Overloaded eh? This is my contribution and I'm the only person in the thread who's had 2 pages of folk going on about it if I wasn't overloaded I wouldn't of posted I knew exactly what I was doing and the spring snapped but I've ordered better stronger ones so it'll carry weight better that's it ?

Jack 

Because you are knowingly overloading your vehicle with at least double it's legal load. You are running illegally, endangering the lives of other road users and seem to be remorselessly doing this on a daily basis. Chucking a few extra logs on to be a few hundred kilos over is one thing. To put three tonnes on the back of a transit knowing that it's overloaded by two tonnes is quite another. 

• Like 4

Just now, Big J said:

Because you are knowingly overloading your vehicle with at least double it's legal load. You are running illegally, endangering the lives of other road users and seem to be remorselessly doing this on a daily basis. Chucking a few extra logs on to be a few hundred kilos over is one thing. To put three tonnes on the back of a transit knowing that it's overloaded by two tonnes is quite another. 

My main work is landscaping so carry topsoil I do a few driveways but I mostly use wagons this job in question I'd already had 12 packets delivered on a wagon with a hiab but ran short of 4 packs and needed them immediately to get the job finished so I could move on to my next job and even if I did pay delivery I'd of been waiting a week with baclogues of their deliveries so that was a no go and I didn't have time to do 2 runs as it was a day wasted travelling back and forth for blocks so I chucked them on the truck & trailer and took the back roads way to avoid motorways incase something did go wrong which it never and the springs were shite before I loaded the truck that just helped finish them off 

Overloaded is overloaded doesn't matter if its a few hundred kilos or couple of ton if something is going to go wrong it goes wrong it's life the worst that could've happened would of been my brakes fail and I put the truck in a ditch or straight through a dike there wasn't one pedestrian or walker and all traffic on the scenic route used their common sense and gave me space 

We can sit and go on all night about shouldn't do this should possibly do that it's been done gone that's it 

Jack 

Yeah, it’s been done. Then you did it again and broke a spring. No doubt you will continue to do it until you have a serious accident, and I pray its only you that gets hurt.  Maybe if you didn’t price jobs so cheap you might be able to afford to take two trips and do a decent job. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doobin said:

Yeah, it’s been done. Then you did it again and broke a spring. No doubt you will continue to do it until you have a serious accident, and I pray its only you that gets hurt.  Maybe if you didn’t price jobs so cheap you might be able to afford to take two trips and do a decent job. 

The blocks cracked the spring then the sand getting dropped on the truck snapped it who said anything about dojng the job cheap? It's the time what was the problem and not enough of it 

34 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

But why pay 3 x the amount of blocks for delivery? 

Jack 

Maybe so you don’t snap a spring?

could you have got blocks from a place much nearer and done two trips?

edit just to say again YOU aren’t paying for delivery the client is so who cares?

Edited by Richard 1234

24 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

My main work is landscaping so carry topsoil I do a few driveways but I mostly use wagons this job in question I'd already had 12 packets delivered on a wagon with a hiab but ran short of 4 packs and needed them immediately to get the job finished so I could move on to my next job and even if I did pay delivery I'd of been waiting a week with baclogues of their deliveries so that was a no go and I didn't have time to do 2 runs as it was a day wasted travelling back and forth for blocks so I chucked them on the truck & trailer and took the back roads way to avoid motorways incase something did go wrong which it never and the springs were shite before I loaded the truck that just helped finish them off 

Overloaded is overloaded doesn't matter if its a few hundred kilos or couple of ton if something is going to go wrong it goes wrong it's life the worst that could've happened would of been my brakes fail and I put the truck in a ditch or straight through a dike there wasn't one pedestrian or walker and all traffic on the scenic route used their common sense and gave me space 

We can sit and go on all night about shouldn't do this should possibly do that it's been done gone that's it 

Jack 

Your attitude is absolutely appalling.

You cannot equate overloading by a small percentage with the extent to which you are routinely taking it. A few hundred kilos is still within the foreseeable parameters to which the vehicle is designed. The chances are you are still within your axle weights. 200% overloaded means all components on the vehicle are massively stressed and primed to fail. 

You say that other road users "used their common sense and gave me space", which sounds like a euphemism for "they recognised I was running around with a dangerous load and engaged in self preservation".

Your one and only defense of your actions thus far has been to save money, which is no defense at all.

I won't do it personally, but don't be surprised if someone tracks you down and reports you to the police on the basis of your posts on this thread. You've so far provided photographic proof of gross overloading, shown full understanding of how far overloaded you are, shown no remorse for doing so, and provided photographic proof of mechnical failures on your vehicle as a result of your overloading. You should not be on the road, but equally worrying seems to be the extent to which you seem happy to incriminate yourself on what is a public forum.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1