arb hats

hedgesparrow

i bought a petzl helmet not so long ago as they where more comfortable to wear and had the chin strap. unlike the normal helmets. whilst in local arb shop meet with a trainer to find my helmet is not for groundwork but just for aloft and so would not be covered on my insurance if something fell down. on the box it say nothing only arboriculture helmet read the small print says only for climbing.

bit miffed as it was not that cheap to buy. and only helmets for groundwork are those horrible ones like builders hats which after a day wearing your head is sweating it rubs on your head. only one i found that had a chin strap is £160 and meets with ce guidelines for working on ground. and is good to wear

i bought a petzl helmet not so long ago as they where more comfortable to wear and had the chin strap. unlike the normal helmets. whilst in local arb shop meet with a trainer to find my helmet is not for groundwork but just for aloft and so would not be covered on my insurance if something fell down. on the box it say nothing only arboriculture helmet read the small print says only for climbing.

bit miffed as it was not that cheap to buy. and only helmets for groundwork are those horrible ones like builders hats which after a day wearing your head is sweating it rubs on your head. only one i found that had a chin strap is £160 and meets with ce guidelines for working on ground. and is good to wear

The minimum requirement for a ground helmet it EN397 there is nothing to say that you cant use a better one. Your trainer has sent you down the wrong road, ask your insurer if its OK to use a better helmet than the minimum requirement.

The minimum requirement for a ground helmet it EN397 there is nothing to say that you cant use a better one. Your trainer has sent you down the wrong road, ask your insurer if its OK to use a better helmet than the minimum requirement.

I was under the impression that the two different EN/CE codes weren't better, just designed for different uses, EN 12492 for heights and EN 397 for ground.

However, googled Petzle CE EN and got this.

"All Petzl helmets provide the same level of protection against impacts.

The differences are found at the chinstrap and the presence or lack of ventilation.

A stronger chinstrap is recommended for work at height in order to avoid losing the helmet during a fall.

A non-ventilated shell also protects against electrical risks and molten metal

splash." http://www.lezeckavystroj.cz/files/PRODUKTOVA%20DOKUMENTACE/produktova_dokumentace_Petzl/comparison-table-helmets.pdf

So a Petzle helmet with no chinstrap is rated to ground work. Just go's to show every day is a school day.

BUT, if the manual specifically says not for ground work, then maybe he is right, and even though the lid wont offer any different protection to a forest helmet, it isn't "fit for purpose" so will break PUWER, and your insurance.

Edited by Syd_B

so i have been wareing a peztl working up a tree then when i get to the ground i have to undo the chin stap to continue to use it on the ground!!!

you can use petzl hemits for ground work,end of. some people even use them underground when doing rescues!

sorry not quite right you cant use the vented ones near power lines or in foundries