Srt help!!!

arbmansam

Please can someone advise me on SRT setups and can u use SRT with out a rope wrench and what other kit i need for this and also would like a run through of different ways to tie in and with full explanations because i am thinking of buying a snake anchor and using it as a base tie to start with and then progress to tip tying if i have any of this ballsed up please stop me before i do myself some damage just would really like quick access then go back on to ddrt spiderjack for moving in the canopy thanks people

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rope wrench really is a descender, it's a friction management device.

If you only want to go up on SRT then you just use mechanical rope grabs.

So to answer your question, yes, throw a line over, tie off with a base anchor, ascend SRT with a rope walker system using mechanical ascenders (for instance) then when you reach the top, set your anchor and work ddrt.

Oh, I'm only just starting to fiddle with SRT, but my set up comprises a pantin, croll with a foot loop and a bungee to self tend, hitch and rope wrench. You could swap the hitch and wrench for a rope grab of some description with a hand ascender above with a bit of cord linking the two to help it tend. As I understand it mechanical SRT ascent and descent is the system behind irata

To be honest i love the idea of hitch and wrench just money is tight atm for a wrench i already have hitch climber setup and i think im about to order a snack anchor but i the last time i used a foot loop with chest croll basically the whole frog walker system i got irratated lol so might have to just build up piece by piece do excuse me if this really dosent make any sense i have my 3 month old screaming in my ear haha

Sam you can go up SRT with just your hitch climber and foot pantin but you won't be able to go back down unless you have a pinto pulley handy as you can use that as a temporary rope wrench above your hitch or sj check out my thread. Don't bother with a snake anchor yet just save your money for a rw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Sam you can go up SRT with just your hitch climber and foot pantin but you won't be able to go back down unless you have a pinto pulley handy as you can use that as a temporary rope wrench above your hitch or sj check out my thread. Don't bother with a snake anchor yet just save your money for a rw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I agree, you dont need the snake anchor, you do need a Rw or a unicender though!:thumbup:

When Justin gets the Snake Anchors in I'm going to order one, but only so that I can have a dedicated base anchor in the kit, I've been using a length of ordinary semi static to tie off with up til now and it's fine. I prefer the idea of knowing that I'm hanging off something which has only been used for that purpose and it will shorten set up times even further.

As Paul says though, it's not an essential part of the set up, it's icing on a cake really.

The thing which I found makes the biggest difference is getting your feet working properly. If you already have an efficient frog walking set up then you're nearly there.

Someone pointed out in the RW thread that it's all about 'little steps' and I've found that to be spot on. You don't need to be taking massive strides up a rope to begin with. So long as everything tends smoothly you will always ascend quicker than DDRT.

I have my line hanging up from a rafter in my shed so I can tinker with my set up at leisure, it's made a huge difference, to be able to experiment with different arrangements in my own time.

The wrench is a really nice shiny descender, but for me the biggest benefit of SRT doesn't come from the wrench, it comes from 1:1 ascent using mechanical ascenders.

The wrench just means that I don't have to change all the kit over to come down, just uncip the croll and pantin and I can then do the cutting and come straight back down. In that respect it's very similar to spiking up a spar and having a choked single line and figure 8 for fast descent.

In fact, have you considered the 'Fate [F8] Revolver' system as a first step towards a wrench? Here's Kevin's video, he really is a pioneer of SRT....!:thumbup:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXwrXgN0qw]the F8 revolver - YouTube[/ame]

You need a Rope Wrench & HC pulley or Hitch Hiker or Unicender. Aswell as that a Pantin is essential.

Use this for a while and learn more from the other threads. Then you'll add gear that really suits you rather buying some mistakes.

There are some good RW and HH videos on YouTube.

Only use a base anchor for access into the tree then set your TIP.

Read the Rope Wrench Feedback thread and the Hitch Hiker thread.

You need a Rope Wrench & HC pulley or Hitch Hiker or Unicender. Aswell as that a Pantin is essential.

Use this for a while and learn more from the other threads. Then you'll add gear that really suits you rather buying some mistakes.

There are some good RW and HH videos on YouTube.

Only use a base anchor for access into the tree then set your TIP.

Read the Rope Wrench Feedback thread and the Hitch Hiker thread.

Well done Al, you didn't sound at all like the HH pimp that you normally do :thumbup1::lol::lol::lol:

I reckon a pantin is one of the most genius things developed, great bit of kit :thumbup1: