Precision Grinder for reducing depth guages

Rob D

Finally now got round to producing a vid for reducing the depth guages using the precision grinder. I hate doing them by hand and continuously measuring them to make sure they are right. The precision grinder does a pretty good job - not a perfect job, but good enough and more importantly fast.

You will need a pack of 5/16" grinding stones for doing this. But I've found you can take the chain back to nothing and it will still be cutting perfectly!

:biggrin:

:001_smile:

Nice vid Rob, I hate filing rakers down, goes right through me...

You mentioned in there that Granberg do a 110v grinder but that's no good for our 240v supply here.... have you not considered a 110v transformer...?

I quite fancy one of these.... bet they're not cheap!

Saw your vid the other day, well explained.

I did wonder why you did not follow the instructions?

They say to adjust the height until the wheel is just at the top of the leading edge of cutter, and then adjust the height down using the increments marked on the height adjusting wheel?

Nice vid Rob, I hate filing rakers down, goes right through me...

You mentioned in there that Granberg do a 110v grinder but that's no good for our 240v supply here.... have you not considered a 110v transformer...?

I quite fancy one of these.... bet they're not cheap!

I might see if I can get some 110v ones for those who have transformers as a few people have asked...

Saw your vid the other day, well explained.

I did wonder why you did not follow the instructions?

They say to adjust the height until the wheel is just at the top of the leading edge of cutter, and then adjust the height down using the increments marked on the height adjusting wheel?

Good point I suppose you could do it that way but after you'd trimmed the depth guage you'd still want to measure it just to make sure! (or I would)...

... but if it proved accurate for .030 you could go to .040 using the top dial.

Well spotted! :biggrin: