Chainsaw inertia brake

Bosun

Steve,

Inertia is the tendency of a body to resist acceleration or the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest

morten called it accelertion, who dosent understand?

The inertia brake is triggered by a sudden acceleration of the saw. Please don't teach me O-level physics, unless you want to embarrass yourself any further!

I did some digging around and can now quote the Husqvarna 346 XP Owners manual for you: http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2010_USen/HUSO2010_USen__1153178-95.pdf

Page 9:

The way the chain brake is activated, either manually

or automatically by the inertia release mechanism,

depends on the force of the kickback and the position

of the chain saw in relation to the object that the

kickback zone of the bar strikes.

If you get a violent kickback while the kickback zone of

the bar is farthest away from you the chain brake is

designed to be activated by the inertia in the kickback

direction.

Page 31:

Checking the inertia brake release

With the engine turned off, hold the chain saw over a

stump or other firm object. Let go of the front handle so

that the bar drops towards the stump as the chain saw

rotates around the rear handle.

When the bar hits the stump the brake should be

applied.

That documents the link between the inertia brake and the drop test, as well as l link between the inertia brake and kick-back. Thus, I have provided a documented link between the drop test and kick-back. Q.E.D.

Unless you come up with some support for your argument, I'll leave you to continue to embarass yourself.

The one point I will concede, is that I frequently misspell "brake" as "break". I am not proud about that! :blushing:

Edited by morten
moderated my language before a moderator had a chance to do so ;)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The inertia brake is triggered by a sudden acceleration of the saw. Please don't teach me O-level physics, unless you want to embarrass yourself any further!

I did some digging around and can now quote the Husqvarna 346 XP Owners manual for you: http://www.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSO/HUSO2010_USen/HUSO2010_USen__1153178-95.pdf

Page 31:

That documents the link between the inertia brake and the drop test. And the Stihl document I quoted earlier documents the link between the inertia brake and kick-back. Thus, I have provided a documented link between the drop test and kick-back. Q.E.D.

Unless you come up with some support for your argument, I'll leave you to continue to embarass yourself.

The one point I will concede, is that I frequently misspell "brake" as "break". I am not proud about that! :blushing:

No wories about your spelling, it is better than our Danish and better than many on here:blushing::lol:

So....did you get all that Bosun? :biggrin:

Yes. But to be honest, I was regretting (4 pages later) having asked the question in the first place.

Without starting chainsaw world war III, do I assume that the "drop test" will not harm the saw?

Using a tyre for the drop test sounds like a good idea, assuming it's representative.

Steady gentlemen!

Yes. But to be honest, I was regretting (4 pages later) having asked the question in the first place.

Without starting chainsaw world war III, do I assume that the "drop test" will not harm the saw?

Using a tyre for the drop test sounds like a good idea, assuming it's representative.

Steady gentlemen!

Not a bad job of starting a row mate!....And on your first post :thumbup1:

Most on here wait a little while. :biggrin:

It's a great forum. Stick with us.

Steady gentlemen!

To be honest, if Husqvarna recommends the drop test, it should be safe to do. You may not trigger the inertia break by dropping it on a tire, but if that works, it'll make less of an impact on the saw.

And you probably don't want to do the drop test on a daily basis. Once a week or once a month should be sufficient.

Oh, by the way... Sorry for contributing to the internet equivalent of a bar-fight :blushing: