Chainsaw inertia brake

Bosun

Good evening,

I'm new to this forum, and it seems you guys know what your talking about.

The owners manual for my Husqvarna 240 chainsaw tells me to check the inertia brake by letting the tip of the chain fall onto a solid wood block. This seems a bit harsh, what do you guy's think? Is there a less brutal way? How often should I check the inertia brake? I fear damaging the bar and fixing bolts!

Many thanks.

Bosun

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just run the saw up then hit the brake much safer that way the saw wont kick back on you. You should check the brake every day. I tend to let the saw slow down then apply the brake so it doesn't wear out as quick

It means that you should check the chain stops when you have a kick back from the saw.

In reality your daily start up checks should make sure the chain break is working as it should and you shouldn't have to worry about doing a kick back test.

Maybe only do it once a week just to be sure. But be carefull. And wear the right ppe.

It means that you should check the chain stops when you have a kick back from the saw.

In reality your daily start up checks should make sure the chain break is working as it should and you shouldn't have to worry about doing a kick back test.

Maybe only do it once a week just to be sure. But be carefull. And wear the right ppe.

The inertia test is nothing to do with kick back, its to test if the chain brake operates in the event of an inerial event like geting droped. The test is conducted with the saw not running.

For God sake don't do the inertia test with the saw running. The chainbrake test is to yank the throttle open and push the brake on - the chain should stop dead and not run on!

The inertia test is to ensure the brake comes on if the bar is impacted in any way - kicking back and hitting your head is one way....ouch:thumbdown: