Interesting video of battery vs petrol saws.

alex_m

yeah but how do you charge on the job or out in the woods? Say battery lasts 30 mins at full whack; need 14 batteries a day...

You can get 12v to 240v Inverters. The husky charger is 330w and takes 35mins.

A 500w inverter would be ideal, like this one.

Ring RINV500 Powersource 500w Inverter £39.99. Buy mail order car accessories at skidrive.co.uk.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chap from the dealer suggested using an inverter but the charger is rated at 330W max, and has a cooling fan to boot.

Now 330W from a 12V inverter calls for 27.5A (equivalent to 6 headlights) at 100% efficient and I doubt you'll manage 80% so you will need a high current connection and keep the engine running for the 30 minutes.

This is a possible issue i agree.

Perhaps a leisure battery in the truck connected with a split charge relay to the starter battery would be best. A 110Ah one can be sourced for around £80

The one on one comparison between the two saws was at best incomplete. I was expecting an actual run out of both saws until there was no more wood to cut or one or the other models finally stopped due to no fuel or charge. At least I could make up my mind as to which model will actually last longer for a specific job.

easy-lift guy

I have a stihl ms180 which will spin a chain faster than that! Does not mean it'll outcut a 560 though....

What the hell have you done to it for the chain to go that fast?! And whilst it doesn't mean it will out-cut under pressure, what it does mean is that on the pull under its own weight it will, as the chain has a cutting edge, and the faster it goes round, the faster it cuts!

yeah but how do you charge on the job or out in the woods? Say battery lasts 30 mins at full whack; need 14 batteries a day...

I got a load of bosch cordless tools, 14.4v, 5 bats cover most jobs.

so maybe 2.5hrs worth of cutting could be right for most climbing/dismantle jobs, plus its half the weight of a petrol one.

Well it looks like we are going to have to change our ways so insted of scoffing when the old lady asks if we need electric for our saw we will smile sweetly and say well actually any chance I can plug my charger in somewhere?

that might get a slap across the face...or a beckon inside...:blushing:

I would be interested to see a comparison with an MS200T/201T..those little husky T435's are clockwork powered aren't they? ;) Looks like a great little tool for light reductions/thinning...etc...I'd be interested to give one a whirl...