13mm climbing rope

bill

I got NE and the end has never stretched out i guess some do some dont.

What is the best climbing rope around im for want of new rope and would appreicate your knowledge.

Its to hard to say what is the best climbing rope, New England HiVee is nice and supple plus hard wearing, but for some reason i'm not keen on it.

Yale XTC is generally the most popular of the 13mm lines from my experience.

But some like Burnham and Stumper like Arbormaster, but their Yanks and can be eccentric to us already eccentric Brits:D

There are the 11mm ropes, Yale Blaze, Samson Velocity and New England Fly all seem popular.

Then you have the 12mm Elderid, i've found this can get firm with age, but I hear the new stuff is woven better and keeps supple longer. Being 12mm its between 13 and 11mm and has benefits of both, i,e is lighter than 13mm, but still a nice size in the hand.

Nod at Treeworker.co.uk stocks Elderid and will be able to advise you and generally stocks the best ropes availble, like all the ones I mention above.

Wanna buy some Marlow?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im unsure if i should go for samson Arbormaster as its seems popular and has good reviews. also its a 12mm line which might be a better then taking the plunge on a 11mm rope and then not getting on with it. but im still tempted to get a velocity rope.

I don't think Arbormaster is 12mm, it always feels thicker than XTC to me which is around 12.7mm.

Elderid is the only 12mm rope I know of, and is a good rope in my opinion.

Its a half inch rope. The exact metric conversion is 12.7, but sometimes its shown as 13, 12.5, or 12mm. Whichever the metric measurent given, it is an imperial half inch line.

If you want a line thinner than the half inchers but thicker than the 11mm, go for Poison Ivy at a true 11.7mm

I've only tried xtc arbourmaster and blaze.

i find:-

blaze to small but ultralight, milks quite a bit.

XTC milks a bit more (i've only ever used it in short lengths as a lanyard

Arbmaster good doesnt milk, hence i spliced an eye on the tail. my splice has no 'ID markings' so fits through things easier.

as for milking i dont cut off the excess. The end of my rope is redundant as i tie a fig8 about a meter up. i leave the excess cover in place, its not like i ever use the last 20cm anyway.

Jamie