Costs of running a business..

benedmonds

Your pulling our plum with that one surely?

I mean, having invested in a chipper and truck, why would you put either the tree or chip into an expensive skip?

The reason is this, a skip might cost £125ish or £220ish, so your in your little van...which cost £200, got your kit and a helper at £40.

Price the tree, plus the costs, present your bill, customers pays, when your done....your away, with no messing or moving logs, chips or anything<< bearing mind that time is money - if (for example) your getting £75 per hour dismantling, and only £10 per hour splitting logs...your better off only dismantling and doing something else with your time.

Then in your van, money in your pocket and off to the pub:thumbup:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine is £120 a day before wages..I put depreciation for the trucks and saws on this too. I've been working hard to keep overheads to a minimum...its the wages that kill it...my blokes are worth every penny I pay them..pay peanuts = get monkeys :001_cool:

Ben- I've come to the conclusion that you are winding us all up the main reason for your post being to make people understand that there are massive costs behind running an arb business that even employees of said business don't fully comprehend even when it is explained to them.

Fair play but I think you've over exagerated it by a factor of 2.

Ben- I've come to the conclusion that you are winding us all up the main reason for your post being to make people understand that there are massive costs behind running an arb business that even employees of said business don't fully comprehend even when it is explained to them.

The figures are not exaggerated by a factor of two. We have spent a fair bit on training and a consultant this year. It does include the VAT payments, we are on the fixed rate so we can't claim any of it back.

Others posting with one vehicle are around the £130 for one truck and chipper so thats not a million miles out. We have two teams and the stump grinder and 4x4 for quoting and surveys included.

mine is £120 a day before wages..I put depreciation for the trucks and saws on this too. I've been working hard to keep overheads to a minimum...its the wages that kill it...my blokes are worth every penny I pay them..pay peanuts = get monkeys :001_cool:

Monkeys are good in trees :001_tt2:

The figures are not exaggerated by a factor of two. We have spent a fair bit on training and a consultant this year. It does include the VAT payments, we are on the fixed rate so we can't claim any of it back.

Others posting with one vehicle are around the £130 for one truck and chipper so thats not a million miles out. We have two teams and the stump grinder and 4x4 for quoting and surveys included.

How on earth can you include the vat payments to your running costs, they have nothing to do with it. When you say 'fixed rate scheme', is that the 'flat rate scheme'? If so, my understanding was that you only qualified for this sscheme if your turnover was less than about £80k ish, in which case your running costs alone put you bang on that.

I could not understand why your running costs where so high unless you were running big kit such as mulchers, tree bunchers etc.

Remove the vat and that will give you your running costs.

Mine is £332.17 pd(noting wages but everything els is in there inc dep)

This is calculated from accountants year end figures and I run the same kit/teams as Ben....

However profit figures are staying where they are:thumbup:

All my kit is very well maintained and I don't scrimp on anything this makes a dent in my profit but we are and have been for 5 years now in a rapid growth phase so in year 6/7 the figures will start to level out (hopefully)

So you could say you run 3 teams then, so if the average for 1 team truck and chipper is £130 pd why is it so hard to believe that running x3 teams will be x3 times more overheads bearing in mind extra marketing to keep the teams going, extra H&s as I would presume you are employing more then 5 blokes now, extra Maintanance, Insurence, yard space the list goes on and on and I've not even mentioned fuel!!

Bearing in mind that x3 teams should equal x3 turnover!!! :confused1: