Costs of running a business..

benedmonds

It costs us: BEFORE WAGES £336 per working day! How does that compare?

You can't expect anyone to provide any sensible feedback on that figure without breaking the £336 down into individual components (maintenance/repairs, fuel, small purchases, insurance, ...). But maybe that would be too revealing for your comfort :sneaky2:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing my accounts for the last 9 months.

We have Landrover and TW190 and Iveco with TW250, 4x4 and stump grinder.

It costs us: BEFORE WAGES £336 per working day! How does that compare?

That is without any major purchases or depreciation included..

Sounds about right to me.

£125-150 per team, ie truck and chipper. The extra to run the grinder when that goes out (assuming it is not every day)

I reckon I am at £130-140 (more if the grinder goes out) + wages, but that includes major purchases. Though I don't pay for a yard which saves 2-3k a year for me.

plenty of ways to cut overheads, try leasing and not finance.

sub-contract workers.

hire instead of owning.

use the 'zig-zag' method to change the way you work, 'when others zig, you zag'

means that you change methods within your work practices to enhance productivity and cut down on time - you may not know the answer until someone else points it out....and then you may not agree....based on your rock solid 'this is how its done!':blushing:

A funny one is to hire a skip for a domestic fell, and just chuck it all in - job done :thumbup:

You can't expect anyone to provide any sensible feedback on that figure without breaking the £336 down into individual components (maintenance/repairs, fuel, small purchases, insurance, ...). But maybe that would be too revealing for your comfort :sneaky2:

It was just a subject for discussion and as a balance for the "your worth £150 per day threads." Also to make people think, in a hope they will do the math then put up their prices..:001_smile:

If I do some more comprehensive analysis I might post it.

Each year costs seam to go up more and more people start a biz, more advertising needed prices have to drop etc

The company's that try to run legit just get hammered 40% tax VAT etc, when you have to compete with retards with no qualification experience or insurance it just makes it a real pain the arse to earn good money busting up your body :P

A funny one is to hire a skip for a domestic fell, and just chuck it all in - job done :thumbup:

Your pulling our plum with that one surely?

I mean, having invested in a chipper and truck, why would you put either the tree or chip into an expensive skip?

I'd like to see a mornings work fit in a skip let alone a days worth!

For your chips, reduce tipping costs by using FREECYCLE and finding local people who will take a driveway full from time to time.

We are tipping more at our local council yard as they need 200m3 per year for their gardens and borders.

A moot point with us is the 3250euros we spend on an accountant when my accountant wife would do it all for free!

This is driving me nuts! The bizzare refusal of my business partner to let go of this responsibility and save us a whopping wedge...In fact every time I think about this I feel a little sick.

It was just a subject for discussion and as a balance for the "your worth £150 per day threads." Also to make people think, in a hope they will do the math then put up their prices..:001_smile:

If I do some more comprehensive analysis I might post it.

Excellent post and hopefully it will make those new to the industry , setting up, to price work correctly so as not to face the realization at the end of there tax year that in real terms they have been working like busy fools all year for no reward and no money to replenish any worn out kit. My values are very much the same.:thumbup1:

For your chips, reduce tipping costs by using FREECYCLE and finding local people who will take a driveway full from time to time.

We sold all our chip last year. Probably 12 arctic loads. It's worth a couple of grand even after loading..! I never give it away any more, unless it helps the job! Each truck load is £10-£20..

That works out as less then £7,500 a year, assuming you work 5 days a week and have holidays..

We spent about £10K last year on fuel.

Wish my fuel bill was that low last year we spent £24k! And I don't have that much kit I hope this year I've managed to reduce it by £6k

I sat down a while back and worked out my running cost before wages was about £135 a day +fuel (on average £55 per day) + wages