Mystery Yew fungus

Len Brennan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Google was my friend for an image, not in any of my books. Is much known about it, decay type, m.o etc?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

this threads the first ive heard of this one so dont ask me:blushing:, I try to stick to stuff I have a reasonable amount of personal experience of, I think thats the ONLY way:001_rolleyes:

could be way off the mark with this but the op photos resemble Capnobotrys dingleyae (syn Hormiscium pinophylum/ Antennaria pinophyla )

which has been recorded on Yew before, and seems to occur more often in the north of the country from what i can make out,

From the couple of photos I've been able to find via Google, I think you've nailed it there.

Ahh, one needs to be so careful what one says on the Forum. I should have said 'commonest' on Yew. The stage of completeness of the database is not known but perhaps there are more records not yet added to it. Anyway, it is a useful indicator of some sort of the geographical spread. 32 is a good start. In that context, I withdraw 'common' and replace it with the wishy-washy 'not unheard of'.

Ahh, one needs to be so careful what one says on the Forum. I should have said 'commonest' on Yew. The stage of completeness of the database is not known but perhaps there are more records not yet added to it. Anyway, it is a useful indicator of some sort of the geographical spread. 32 is a good start. In that context, I withdraw 'common' and replace it with the wishy-washy 'not unheard of'.

sorry didnt mean to stir it just thinking aloud.

just saying I personally wouldnt rely on it without cross reference to other sources, least till its tidied up a bit.