Japa 100 or hakki pilke eagle

muttley9050

Yip, good call on a new machine for warranty and "shiny" reasons as you say James.

Joe will see you right, we've been working with him for years now and are just back from a partner stand with him at Lamma '13...freezing but worthwhile.

It would be great to stay in touch, why don't you PM me your email address and I'll add you to our mailing list so you don't miss out on any offers or updates.

Best

Tim

(mlarge)

• 1 year later...

It's possible, but it has a big sticker on it showing that it's for use by one operator only.

If you are using two people, if it's a big piece of wood or particularly hard splitting, try not to both be splitting and cutting together as it usually makes the belts slip a bit if it's being made work really hard.

I really like the eagle. The only thing I don't like is bending down to pick the logs up to split but I can live with that

Where abouts are the dealers etc? Im thinking of getting a price.

Planning on selling my current sliding table saw bench, have just sold.small splitter.

So two of us can do the small stuff 3-8" on eagle then the rest can be split with big splitter

I dunno if M Large still have dealers or if you just deal direct with them?

Going from a sliding table to a rocking table, you'll probably wonder why you didn't do it sooner :001_smile:

I have an old jappa 100 with an engine mounted on It, I don't think fuel wood sell them with the engine any more. One man can cut and another split but you need to work together otherwise the belts will slip or you lose to much speed on the saw. Overall a cracking bit of kit for its size and you just wheel it to where you want to work. Worst thing picking all the logs off the floor.

I have had a Hakki Pilke Eagle PTO version for nearly 2 years now and im very pleased with it. We always use it with 2 men on it and it works fine, occasionally if the saw is cutting a very thick piece of wood the man on the splitter will need to hold off for a few seconds until the machine picks up speed again but generally it works well. We can fill a wheelbarrow of logs about every 3 minutes this way. The TCT blade should last for 40+ hours before needing resharpened providing you don't go through too many nails, barb wire, etc (which is inevitable) and the belts should last about the same length of time, although you will need to tighten them every 5-10 hours ive found. We now keep the top cover of the machine OFF so we can keep an eye on the belts. You can get the belts off ebay for about £6 each.

There are a few problems with the machine though, at the bottom of the blade compartment there is a very small thin steel grill which is meant to allow sawdust to escape but frankly its useless, we had to cut it off with the angle grinder as it kept filling up with sawdust/shavings and slowed down the blade. If you are buying the machine this is the first thing you should do in my opinion. Another let down is the brake pedal, when the blades/splitter gets jammed, and it will do quite often, you push this down with your foot and it disengages the belts. In theory this is a great idea but we've found that once the belts are disengaged the shaft is still spinning and creating friction with them, and after a few seconds you can smell them burning, we get around this by disengaging the tractors PTO as soon as there is a jam but no matter how quick we are there is still some damage caused to the belts.

However despite these small issues I would still highly recommend the Hakki Pilke Eagle, its a very productive machine for the price and the PTO version is very cheap to run on a small tractor drinking red diesel. I got mine from M Large for around the £1700 mark if I remember. Let me know if you need any other info.