Rope access IRATA

danroker1987

It can very much depend on what you want/ are willing/ able to do and where you will work.

There is usually quite a bit of lower paid monkey work doing window cleaning and mastic application type stuff, especially in London. Alternatively, get your foot in the door with a decent company by doing the odd day here and there and building up a reputation as a hard worker. Unfortunately,the nature of the industry can mean that you can work 6 days one week and then not hear from them for a month.

Having your own kit and other relevant tickets will help (IPAF, PTS, PASMA, CSCS, etc).

Think there are a few here who have it, including me. First thing to bear in mind about it is that as a course (qualification) alone it's not a job. It's only a method of access, you need to have a talent you can do on that rope once you get in position.

The easiest way for anyone with chainsaw tickets/experience is to get the PTS course for railways and do some veg management. That should get you in the door with a company who might start and use you for other stuff.

There are 1000 hours at each level, once you have done level one and two, level three allows you to become the 'senior person' on site. Each require further courses. I have five hundredish now at levelone. Working occasionally and fitting it in round my tree work, makes for nice a change, but honestly it's very hard work, hanging for long periods with no where to put your feet and working with anything small and fiddly at big height requires a lot of concentration. We spent six weeks screwing in self drillers on an 87 metre building, try not dropping one!

As said before mate, unless you have a trade to go along with your IRATA it can be very hard to find work. Having said that if you use your chainsaw tickets along with it you can land some nice jobs. I was lucky enough last year to have a few weeks descaling a quarry in Devon.

Its a strange one in rope access, you dont need CS38/39 to work at heights with a chainsaw! Different guidelines etc.

Good luck bud :thumbup:

It's tricky to get in with companies, it tends to be who you know. I'm a 3 now.

If your mate has any deveg skills try the geotech companies, can, rock solutions, trac, geo-rope....try the Rigg access forum. Australia is a good place to get into. lots of work and very highly paid. I've heard of folk out there working over caustic soda tanks pulling in £500 a (week) day.

Search other IRATA threads on here, i've put a feew things up.

I rarely do trees now :(

Jamie