Snow days and employees??

Rick2517

I can only speak about the other side of the coin but if I had people I had worked for that I felt had taken the pee then they went on the 'only if I can't get any other work' pile. If I had somebody I felt treated me well then I would always do whatever I could to aid their success because I wanted more work from them rather than others. That would include working late and passing work on because I knew they would see me right. If they didn't, somebody else would get the extra next time. It did use to frustrate sometimes when the employees(ie on the books, not free lance) use to hang out lunch breaks and drag their heels because they knew if they got back early they would be doing logs. :001_rolleyes::001_smile:

They did not have a lot of choice they were on the cards. If they were moonlighting especially with my vehicles ( and we had sightings 250 miles away ) they were positively encouraged to leave :biggrin:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted, you are completely missing my point. I will try and put it a different way. The employee is selling a commodity, namely their labour by the hour, You are selling a commodity, for example your harness by the unit. My question to GenSet was what reward he offered for working those extra hours to help him out as he would be receiving more hours than he had initially bought from his staff. Your suggestion was that they should do it for free purely for the priviledge of retaining their jobs which I feel was both unreasonable and rather patronising to the employees themselves. My comparison for you is that you would not expect to supply more units than were being purchased simply to continue your priviledge of dealing with your customer. :001_smile:

I believe I now understand your point. The employees in this case are hired as independent contractors for x number of hours per week. If circumstances such as weather affect the amount of time actually on the job, I guess the answer is how one handles the situation on a case by case basis. My suggestion was more tongue and cheek as opposed to being unreasonable.

easy-lift guy

I believe I now understand your point. The employees in this case are hired as independent contractors for x number of hours per week. If circumstances such as weather affect the amount of time actually on the job, I guess the answer is how one handles the situation on a case by case basis. My suggestion was more tongue and cheek as opposed to being unreasonable.

easy-lift guy

:001_cool:

They did not have a lot of choice they were on the cards. If they were moonlighting especially with my vehicles ( and we had sightings 250 miles away ) they were positively encouraged to leave :biggrin:

Don't blame you. On the cards means you owe your loyalty to who you work for. What I was trying to say was respect should breed respect and an employer that doesn't look after their workers shouldn't be surprised when the favour is returned. Of course, that cuts both ways. :001_smile:

Don't blame you. On the cards means you owe your loyalty to who you work for. What I was trying to say was respect should breed respect and an employer that doesn't look after their workers shouldn't be surprised when the favour is returned. Of course, that cuts both ways. :001_smile:

You're not wrong there Felix.

It's been said so many times here , it work both ways , I have and would again work Saturdays , Sundays and over time , some times for the money and some times for time off when you need it , if you are giving a car / van / truck and fuel that takes the cost of owning your own.There is not a lot of full time jobs out there its up too all to make the company work, so if it's snowing it's snowing , if you can get to the yard do , clean out the truck /saw/chipper paint over the rust , cut logs , take some home and keep warm.

You will have a job when it stops snowing. That's just how I work.

Where were you due to be? I thought things weren't too bad over here. The only change we have made is that I am running everybody in as I have the only 4x4. :001_smile:

We have a few places we can go as we are a little big company but I think he wanted to lend me the landscapers for a poplar pollard / mono that needs a few men to move the logs etc its about 100ft tall with very tight access . I think he is more worried about the trailers we tow and damage to them if he was a small business he would have had to carry on I guess he has the luxury that he doesn't .we all get on well with our boss and he is more than fair as an employer so snow days are not a problem for us .

We have a few places we can go as we are a little big company but I think he wanted to lend me the landscapers for a poplar pollard / mono that needs a few men to move the logs etc its about 100ft tall with very tight access . I think he is more worried about the trailers we tow and damage to them if he was a small business he would have had to carry on I guess he has the luxury that he doesn't .we all get on well with our boss and he is more than fair as an employer so snow days are not a problem for us .

Sounds like you are very fortunate to work within a company that can factor into there budged snow days and even more so one where everyone appreciates and respects the employer as this is a very hard thing to achieve so he must be a good bloke (or one that is on arb talk and reading this thread lol)