Just a warning .......

pward

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe all you need to do is ask for one Andy. I provide a full detailed invoice for each and every job I do, even if the guy or company I'm working for does'nt want one. I still make one out so that I have a copy for my accounts.

But to go back to the original post, I've have'nt yet had a problem with a new client (yet, :sneaky2:), but last year had two guys I trusted and had worked for regularly for years suddenly go under owing me money. £520 & £1080 respectively, both carried on trading the following week under different names. Both use to come on here an'all.

So now like Skyhuck says, I do ask for payment at the end of the job or end of the week, whichever is sooner. Simply can't afford to to sweat my nads off risking life and limb and then get burned for £1600 each year. :thumbdown:

one of them still owes me 500 quid aswell!

Edited by skyhuck
language

a good mate of mine and free lance climber got stung when he injured him self on a job and crushed his hand, the guy he was subbing to didnt have insurance like he said he did so mate had alot of time of work with no pay. he still has problems with his hand/wrist now and has to put a wrist brace on for working and climbing.

be carefull

Skyhucks point about not being paid before they get paid is a pet hate of mine, im a freelancer/subcontractor, not a financial underwriter!!

Spot on- they never say this when they ask you to do the work. Although I understand a new business or expanding business may need that facility, I will extend that facility. I just wish they would say early on then I could price accordingly. Note to self- remember to ask.

for what its worth there is just the same problem for the employer - i have had my fair share of wanna be climbers that come down promising the earth , delivering very little and in some cases not being able to do the job that they assured they could do , i have had guys turn up with no climbing kit and tell me it was nicked by the last chap he worked with , i have had some that expect to stay in my house and expect my missus to lie to me/ not tell me that the person was out all night and is not fit to be at work !!!! - but still they expect the money that was agreed at the onset of work .

all of that aside i now have/use some cracking guys that are spot on , they are paid on time and treated well , it is a shame that good guys do get conned and not paid but like huck has said - do your research and ask around , i also would advise any firms out there to do the same before getting a climber in or even taking someone on for a trial !!!!! -this is what most established firms are doing anyway so as a subby i would be expecting to give references and expect that they are contacted and asked about my services and how happy the firm was with me ! if a firm does not do its homework then i would question how professional that firm is .

Interesting thread, I guess you have to trust your gut, when I last freelanced regularly at one point one company owed just over £3k but I got it all no problems, it was just his way. I don't agree with it but someone else would have and I don't think he could afford to pay on time tbh. However now I just run my own stuff anyone who is brought in to help gets paid at the end of the day or week or when invoiced, regardless of my cash flow situation.

its an interesting thread - do you guys that frelance agree payment terms before commencement of works ? i pay the guys either at the end of the job if its a one off or on the next payment run which is fortnightly , i dont think i have ever had a subby/freelance worker come too me and discuss payment terms before starting work . being honest its not the way in which i work but if your in business and subying/ freelancing should you expect the company to pay you weekly or monthly like the rest of their creditors ? like i said i dont do it my self but even now we go in to work for firms that dont have the kit and get told that we will be paid when they get paid !!!

I'm finding there to be more crooked tree surgeons out there, for new and some old do your reasearch on who you work for, just thought I'd put a reminder out there, as I've been bitten more than once now

I know what you are saying and agree, there are also a lot who advertise them selves as 'fully qualified' and yet only have NPTC units, hold your hands up if you are guilty? and there are also a lot who operate without insurances . Unfortunately its the customer who at the end of the day, or year depending on how the tree responds, who looses out in the end. I also know there are some who advertise 'fully qualified and insured' for your peace of mind :lol: and have neither.