Just a warning .......

pward

So you're going to work for someone who nicks your car and kit while you are up the tree......................weird

Or do you mean you've worked for a company who didn't pay you... that sounds more likely.

If I was freelance I'd insist on seeing the main contractors insurance as a matter of course but I understand this wouldn't start you on the right footing. I guess it's best to work for companies you trust and not ones you've rung up on the offchance though I expect this often happens. Find a good company and treat them well would be my take on it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be quite impressed if a freelancer turned up showed me copies of their tickets, and then asked if they could see proof of my insurance. Well maybe not just before a job started but if in the initial conversation they brought it up I'd be more than happy to get an email of them with their tickets and send the same back.

Always a worry working for or employing someone new for the first time!

So you're going to work for someone who nicks your car and kit while you are up the tree......................weird

Or do you mean you've worked for a company who didn't pay you... that sounds more likely.

If I was freelance I'd insist on seeing the main contractors insurance as a matter of course but I understand this wouldn't start you on the right footing. I guess it's best to work for companies you trust and not ones you've rung up on the offchance though I expect this often happens. Find a good company and treat them well would be my take on it.

Your not going to work threw choice if you know there going to do it are you, but you never know really it also works both ways, employer and employee,

Good thread, IMO.

If your offered work ask around, pm people on here who you trust or speak to local dealers who you know they also deal with, obviously do it discreetly, I've avoided working for bad payers by doing a little research.

This is a very small industry and it pretty easy to find out who the good guys are.

Also never run up a big invoice with any one, get paid at the end of each week, even if you've only worked one day that week, they should not make you wait untill they have been paid before paying you, if they cannot finance the job they should not be doing it!!!

Edited by skyhuck

I'd be quite impressed if some freelancers could provide a proper invoice :001_rolleyes::001_smile: I've seen everything from a notebook page torn out to a scribble on an old envelope IIRC I've probably only had one person ever give me a "correctly" written invoice, with every detail as it should be, ie UTR ref name, address and details on it.

I'm guessing if I asked some of these questions of a contractor in the past I would have been lucky to work for them ever again, let alone get away without a thick ear :001_smile: mind you, no one ever couldn't pay, or tried to refuse to pay me, so I guess luck came into it as well.

I'd be quite impressed if some freelancers could provide a proper invoice :001_rolleyes::001_smile: I've seen everything from a notebook page torn out to a scribble on an old envelope IIRC I've probably only had one person ever give me a "correctly" written invoice, with every detail as it should be, ie UTR ref name, address and details on it.

I'm guessing if I asked some of these questions of a contractor in the past I would have been lucky to work for them ever again, let alone get away without a thick ear :001_smile: mind you, no one ever couldn't pay, or tried to refuse to pay me, so I guess luck came into it as well.

I'm lucky to get an invoice number. You've got to wonder.

I too would love to have a freelancer ask to see certs of insurance etc. So long as I was pre warned. I think it would be a basis of a long term relationship. I can't imagine anyone doing it just to make a claim.

I think to be honest 'gut reaction' is often the best judge. Though I sometimes still get caught out

Maybe all you need to do is ask for one Andy. I provide a full detailed invoice for each and every job I do, even if the guy or company I'm working for does'nt want one. I still make one out so that I have a copy for my accounts.

But to go back to the original post, I've have'nt yet had a problem with a new client (yet, :sneaky2:), but last year had two guys I trusted and had worked for regularly for years suddenly go under owing me money. £520 & £1080 respectively, both carried on trading the following week under different names. Both use to come on here an'all.

So now like Skyhuck says, I do ask for payment at the end of the job or end of the week, whichever is sooner. Simply can't afford to to sweat my nads off risking life and limb and then get burned for £1600 each year. :thumbdown:

Maybe all you need to do is ask for one Andy. I provide a full detailed invoice for each and every job I do, even if the guy or company I'm working for does'nt want one. I still make one out so that I have a copy for my accounts.

But to go back to the original post, I've have'nt yet had a problem with a new client (yet, :sneaky2:), but last year had two guys I trusted and had worked for regularly for years suddenly go under owing me money. £520 & £1080 respectively, both carried on trading the following week under different names. Both use to come on here an'all.

So now like Skyhuck says, I do ask for payment at the end of the job or end of the week, whichever is sooner. Simply can't afford to to sweat my nads off risking life and limb and then get burned for £1600 each year. :thumbdown:

And they set up again but didn't pay you?? I would have gone round and put one on him mate. Disgusting.

Sorry to hear that, it's not only the money side it's the sheer lack of knowledge of tree work as well (cowboys claiming to know what there on about or people who don't have the right skills to be running a company and then putting added pressure on the one person that does) its coming more apparent to me so just thought I send out a nudge and thought on it

Funny you should say that, I haven't had any trouble with it yet but I did think just the other day how easy it be for a company to set a free lance worker up not pay do away with some equipment even nick a car or truck while they know your up the tree n your cars bk at the yard ....so deffo agree that so e homework is needed

why would you leave the keys in your work truck or car and when i use my equiment,if it not being used it locked away.just saying