new woodburner?

sean

Seriously are chinese multi stoves considered complete rubbish? I bought a JA006 12kw double door one 18 months ago for £280, it's been lit practically every day and just love it. Once its burning well you can chuck in logs up to 22 inches long and if you want to overnight burn, a shovel full of coal on top and still shut the dampers and its still glowing in the morning, i'd recommend it to anyone.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like the one of the dog. Here's mine (and the hungover missus). Stove is a Town and Country Little Thurlow. 5kw and 6 yrs old.

I have also a Stovax Stockton 7 Multifuel. Bought at 6m old looks like new from Gumtree from a local stove dealer cost £425 delivered. This is still awaiting fitting into a yet to be built extension. I think the realistic new price is around £800.

The story starts with me buying (from a post card ad in the local shop) a Dowling 8 Hybrid Stove for £250 spent £60 getting it shot blasted and re sprayed then. Rear flue did not suit for my plans so sold it for £450. Maybe good luck rather than skill.

So what I am getting at is yes look for used stoves, but be choosy and it may be better than buying a cheaper new one. And potentially profitable. And satisfying. Enjoy.

Pics of dowling before and after.

P1030500.jpg.d4ed4ced042e3d819b039fc03a29c0c3.jpg

597663c783d76_DowlingyHbrid80031.jpg.fde9151bc0463d911b7cb578281cfaf5.jpg

P1030595.jpg.8ef11da0add5f8054b626c4e0ec18b97.jpg

I had one a few years ago all the paint burnt off and you could not shut it right down and it was burning too fast. They did take it back for a full refund though, then I bought a Charnwood what a difference.

+1 for charnwood very good stoves made on the isle of wight new not cheap from £700 up saw a good one they have just brought out has a hotplate on top lift lid boils a kettle or can griddle on it.

£350 will get you a new stove but it will most likely eat fuel and be wholly ineffienct. This in turn will have you sweeping creosote deposits from flu twice a year instead of once. It's easy to say save & stretch the budget but maybe you can't do that in the shorterm. However, £480 and above will get you a cleaner buring stove, that in the long run should last you longer. Have a look through the classifieds and maybe you can grab a good stove, at a knockdown price.

If the chimney has not been used in a while. Make sure it's still safe to use - no leaking fumes etc.

Edited by TGB

yes if the property is tenanted there may be regs to have it signed off by a HETAS bloke or Building Control. Also likely to require carbon monoxide and a smoke detector. Remember if output is MORE than 5kw you will need an external airbrick.

Stubby, is your dog a Chesapeake bay retriever? Looks like one or just a labradoodle??

No . Its a working cocker ( retired ) 14 years old and spayed . Since she has been spayed her fir grows like made . Have to clip her every 10 weeks or so . She runs about a goodun when we are out and just sleeps in between !