Dreams of OZ

ads9

Hi I'm Adam

I'm 28 years old and gonna be starting a 10 week intensive tree surgery course in April.

I've had about 3 years experience all in all, in the trade as a groundy. I've wanted to be a climber ever since I was about 10 but been put off it by various people and certain reasons...until now.

I hope to get the qualifications and jet off to Australia.... I was recommended this site by a mate and said I should register to find advice on the prospects over there and stuff like that. I was just wondering if I could get away with being sponsored straight away, rather than having to get experience as a climber over here (not that I know completely how that works)

thanks! hopefully someone can give me advice :001_smile:

I could be wrong and can only speak from my experience (which was a fair while ago) and the immigration rules in NZ but in order to be sponsored the sponsoring company needs to show that they can't find a worker with equivalent skills from within Oz. This means they have to advertise the position. Good climbers are still few and far between so it is easier to show you cant find the staff at home so therefore need to employ people from overseas. In NZ arborists are on the skills shortage list. I reckon you might be better off getting a work visa/permit and hooking up with a company without all the sponsorship as it will be quicker. Once you're out there you can prove your worth and then start discussing extending your stay through sponsorship.

Hopefully one of the Oz based guys can give you some more accurate info.

To be honest mate, I think many of the Ozzy firms that look for climbers on here are usually looking for experienced people who can hit the ground running so to spk.

You could try looking through some of the old posts on the employment thread, get a few contact details and approach some of the posters directly via PM to see what they expect.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but please bear in mind that a 10 week intensive course is not going to make you the worlds best tree surgeon. It will provide you with some insight into how and why we cut trees, and teach you (hopefully) to pass your tree climbing and aerial rescue assessments.

Remember that your "qualification" at the end of it is simply a piece of paper! It can take years of experience to become a safe, competent and productive climber. Seriously mate, I'm not trying pee on your chips, but you might need to curb your expectations. Whatever you may have seen or been told whilst working on the ground, working in the canopy is a whole different ball game.

Just my 2p's worth. Don't give up on your ambition, but keep it real.

Best of luck. :thumbup1:

To be honest mate, I think many of the Ozzy firms that look for climbers on here are usually looking for experienced people who can hit the ground running so to spk.

You could try looking through some of the old posts on the employment thread, get a few contact details and approach some of the posters directly via PM to see what they expect.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but please bear in mind that a 10 week intensive course is not going to make you the worlds best tree surgeon. It will provide you with some insight into how and why we cut trees, and teach you (hopefully) to pass your tree climbing and aerial rescue assessments.

Remember that your "qualification" at the end of it is simply a piece of paper! It can take years of experience to become a safe, competent and productive climber. Seriously mate, I'm not trying pee on your chips, but you might need to curb your expectations. Whatever you may have seen or been told whilst working on the ground, working in the canopy is a whole different ball game.

Just my 2p's worth. Don't give up on your ambition, but keep it real.

Best of luck. :thumbup1:

Speaking of hitting the ground! how's the recovery going?

Good advice gnarly! I'm still researching.

I just noticed someone else posted something on a similar subject saying that one may as well get experience in the place you wanna be!

It makes sense I suppose! But what do I know! Gonna keep researching, wish me luck