Biomass boiler

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo!

I worked this out from "first principles" having been told by various plumbers that sometimes the joints were "dry", etc etc.

When I asked why?

But they all done it.

Even if they did not know why.

My father, a grumpy tght arsed farmer, who taught himself how to wipe a lead joint, with an old parriffin blowlamp btw, never used any extra solder, allowing it to be a slovenly lazy habit.

But with my poorer eyesight I finally:lol: figgered if I touched the fitting with solder wire it would indicate when the heat was correct, as I had more difficulty in seeing the solder sweating out.

byw I did all my plumbing with a (small?) roofing torch:confused1:

I knew no different:blushing:

At 53 I may finally treat myself to a proper plumbers torch.:thumbup:

To add to my collection of almost unused tools, that I actually needed 25/30 year ago.

cheers

So heres my question, if your getting your solder out and wiping the joint anyway, why bother spending twice the price on a yorkshire fitting when an end feed is absolutely fine, its a waste of money and if a plumber i employed was using them id lose all confidence.

And on another note weve got 5000 liters of water in our thermal store and we still put corrosion inhibitor in, why would you not?

Ill post some pics ofour system soon, its quite impressive. 100kw atmos boiler, 5000l in thermal store, 3 x 1000l in the hot water system for the solar collectors. Its rather large.

Muttly,

I only started using the solder to test for temp as my eyesight got poorer.

When I plumbed this almost 4000 sq ft house it was all by eyesight.

No added solder, no leaks either.(though the toilet nearly had hot flushes)

Yet the professional plumber who plumbed in my grant aided biomass wood burner, had both slabbers of solder running down the copper pipe.

Plus at least one leak.

Which I fixed.

Though he may have allowed an apprentice to practise on our installation.

This was the same plumber who failed to isolate the upstairs radiator circuit before draining the system down, despite being shown where to do so.

I did ask a few "plumbers" why they were copiously adding solder to "Yorkshire" fittings.

None were able to answer sensibly (imho)

Since ours is a sealed system, I was told it did not need treatment, by the installer,(and see above) Ithen priced Feronox, and near fainted.

Took advice from a few knowledgable folk and decided it did not need treatment.

Water still absolutly clear, with no signs of black (iron) sludge.

Your installation sounds impressive btw.

Ours is OK but really needed a larger buffer/accumulator tank, for the way I seem to want to operate it.

Running the underfloor off the stored hot water drops the temp too fast.

My next modification may well be an additional 2000/3000 litre accumulator tank plumbed in series.

Giving me about 5000l all up.

cheers again

marcus

Sniff!

I fancied the 100kw Atmos (M Large was selling)smply since it would take the full length 1000mm billet = simples.

I is proper jealous.

Edited by difflock

Do you live in a castle!? :001_smile:

How much wood does it cosume?

I live in an intentional community, 17 adults and 10 kids in one big old house on an 18acre plot.

The boiler consumes between 40-50tonnes a year depending on how bad the winter is. Have a 20kw gas backup only to top solar thermal up in spring and autumn.We've had it about 2.5 years.

Our log shed was just completed last year and is 18mx8m Ill start a new thread with pics of that,im a builder so built it myself. Pics of boiler to follow, just transferring.