Biomass boiler

Thinking very seriously about having a biomass boiler installed with a thermal accumulator tank to store extra heat. I run a small log business so have plenty of fuel but was wondering if anyone here has one or could offer any advice, pros and cons etc?. I'm aware of the costs but have talked to a few heat engineers who seem to think the installation is quite straight forward given hat all pipe work and existing boiler is in the garage. Cheers for any feedback

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a perfectely straightforward installation.

Mine is simply "T" ed into the 28mm pipework coming from the oil boiler.

I use either wood or oil depending.

Absolute simples.

PS

Just ensure the flue is the correct height, as it is expensive.

Also look on the "greenbuildingforum"

cheers

M

"Dinak" brand name, which I used.

If I recall can stand unsupported for 3m (=3 lengths) above the last support.

But they also supply a collar that acts as a jointer as well, that has eyes for (3No?) guywires, again if I recall correct.

I choose to guy a 6.4m long 4" Galv pipe on top of the portal frame, as a support, in order to get 10m of vertical flue (and about 12.5m from the ground in total) to clear or ridge as I knew the prevailing wind would otherwise cause problems.

I used tube as I bought it ready galvanised.:thumbup:

So one should be able to get easily say 5m/6m above your roof ridge by guying 3m above, with 2 or 3m then "freestanding".

My boiler specified 8/9m min of flue.(which I only found out after problems arose)

the bollocks who installed it fitted 5m (to keep the estimate down)

I then reinstalled it myself after it indeed proved to be unsatisfactory. (see above)

Edited by difflock

Thinking very seriously about having a biomass boiler installed with a thermal accumulator tank to store extra heat. I run a small log business so have plenty of fuel but was wondering if anyone here has one or could offer any advice, pros and cons etc?. I'm aware of the costs but have talked to a few heat engineers who seem to think the installation is quite straight forward given hat all pipe work and existing boiler is in the garage. Cheers for any feedback

go on BFF renewable energy so much on this subject that you should find what you are looking for. have looked and it was aprox £7k to install including pipework the pipework coming from tank is a special pipe and not just copper. so worth reading up on BFF

they are so efficient. the accumulator tank works at the rate of 1 degree loss over 24hours!! hard to get ya head round!

i would plumb iin with an existing system then you can have it so that if the log boiler is out of wood the oil/ gas kicks in :) happy days.

i used to work for a company selling and installing them.

saddly i just rock the woodburners

That 1 deg per 24 hours is for an Akavatherm tank, but I suspect that it does not take account of all the pipes and fittings that are more difficult to insulate.

However in a well insulated boiler house this heat should not be wasted.

jat

m

ha thats why ours (oil) is in the middle of the house heat the boiler room and wash room so you can dry every thing lol