What do NPTC certificates allow you to do?

haforbes

You ve opened a can of worms here. I ll be the first to bite. Cs units are certs of competence to use equipment or carry out an activity. I often see "Fully Qualified " on adverts and web pages, and they refer to their NPTC s. when I see Fully qualified I think 'When and where did you get your Phd ?'

In answer to your question Yes you can call yourself a Tree Surgeon. In the same way some who has just passed their driving test is a qualified driver, experience now thats a different matter.

I agree it qualifies you to carry out an activity safely, it does not give you a qualification in knowledge in trees.

for example if you pass your tractor and combine ticket, does it qualify you as a farmer.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it qualifies you to carry out an activity safely, it does not give you a qualification in knowledge in trees.

for example if you pass your tractor and combine ticket, does it qualify you as a farmer.

Depends, has it been done on some god awful reality tv show....? :001_huh::001_tongue:

having a PhD wouldn't guarantee someone knew what they were doing either though, ive met a few folk with every piece of paper under the sun and I wouldn't let them loose with a shovel let alone a chainsaw! :lol:

This quote made me chuckle:thumbup:! There are a lot of very valid points in this thread!

The NPTC qualification is a Certificate of Competence, what is most important is the experience which you gain by working with the right and sometime the wrong people which was mentioned earlier! Good experience is very important...

Stay safe!

Some people spend hours using a chainsaw dropping forests or cutting wood down to size. But only know how to use the saw. As for whether someone should work on a tree. Judge them by their pruning cuts.

A butcher knows where to cut for best results, but would you rather a surgeon do your operation? It's all about reputation.

having a PhD wouldn't guarantee someone knew what they were doing either though, ive met a few folk with every piece of paper under the sun and I wouldn't let them loose with a shovel let alone a chainsaw! :lol:

Aye shed loads of them in local authorities

You ve opened a can of worms here. I ll be the first to bite. Cs units are certs of competence to use equipment or carry out an activity. I often see "Fully Qualified " on adverts and web pages, and they refer to their NPTC s. when I see Fully qualified I think 'When and where did you get your Phd ?'

In answer to your question Yes you can call yourself a Tree Surgeon. In the same way some who has just passed their driving test is a qualified driver, experience now thats a different matter.

I am with you on this only I would say NPTC ALONE only qualifies you as a CUTTER OF WOOD , nothing more, it simply states or implies that you are trained to cut into wood, on the ground or at height. Its a great shame that this chainsaw level of competence seems to confuse so many people .

I am with you on this only I would say NPTC ALONE only qualifies you as a CUTTER OF WOOD , nothing more, it simply states or implies that you are trained to cut into wood, on the ground or at height. Its a great shame that this chainsaw level of competence seems to confuse so many people .

I would agree with this. My nptc tickets just mean I'm disinclined to cut my arm off. My (limited) knowledge of trees comes from experience.

Nptc certs do not a tree surgeon make! And having not completed any formal training I wouldn't describe myself as a tree surgeon.

It's a skilled profession. You can't learn to use design software, get an it qualification and call yourself an architect. This is no different.

I would agree with this. My nptc tickets just mean I'm disinclined to cut my arm off. My (limited) knowledge of trees comes from experience.

Nptc certs do not a tree surgeon make! And having not completed any formal training I wouldn't describe myself as a tree surgeon.

It's a skilled profession. You can't learn to use design software, get an it qualification and call yourself an architect. This is no different.

You are correct, for a long time i only had NPTC Tickets, I knew how to use a chainsaw but lacked confidence when meeting clients , at the back of my mind i lacked confidence when talking to a customer , since gaining my first Q it instantly solved my confidence issue and made me hungry to learn more and continue my own PD .You never stop learning . The best investment i have ever made has been my own education.

Hello, A curiosity question. I was just wondering what it allows you to do once you have NPTC qualifications (or LANTRA), I.e. If you've just passed Cs 38/39 does that mean you can then call yourself a tree surgeon and go out climbing self employed? Even if you don't have any experience in the field? Not that it's what I intend to do, More just curious about the technicalities of the qualifications and also it sometimes seems that "tree surgeon" can be a loosely used term, I know of a couple local gardener/landscaper type guys who also offer tree services even though I know they don't really have a great deal of knowledge on the subject, yet they have certain NPTC qualifications....I hope :confused1: Thanks :001_smile:

NPTC certs allow you to get insurance to do what it says on the ticket.

It certainly doesn't mean you are going to be successful in business. That should be another NPTC certificate I reckon.

Seems to me most grief in business is driven by insurance compliance, H&S included. Blame the no win no fee guys (or thank them. Depends which side of the fence you are on)