Stump grinding

benedmonds

The guy we've been using for grinding has decided to retire, he's trying to sell us his stump grinder its a big vermeer self propelled jobbie.

He only wants £500 for it (+ ? for the trailer), do you think it's worth a go?

We don't do many stumps, but I guess we don't sell the service as we don't make much out of it.... How many tree firms find it a proffitable side to the business, or is it just another peice of kit to go wrong?

We could store it in our new alarmed, monitored, fortified container... Which does look a bit odd at the mo empty but for a load chainsaws chained up in the middle.

Sounds like a Vermeer 630B, quite a good old beast. Probably fitted with a Wisconsin 35hp V4 engine.

Stumpgrinding is VERY profitable Ben. I have earned over £1000 a day on my own stumping, its another good string to the bow. If you need any help with the machine, you know where to come to.

Thats a give away at that price, you should easily make that back in a day or two grinding if you are charging correctly.

As to not doing much grinding, just start selling that service as you quote, doesnt take long for things to start rolling.

Or buy it and advertise on here/earborist/ebay and im sure you will turn a quick profit.

stump grinding is a good earner. its all down to the maintenance of the machine and the operator. spend time with a pick and keep it sharp. mr ed knows his stuff by the sound of it, if you 2 are close then you are onto a winner. 500quid. at least buy it and sell it again. if he is an old guy with a well looked after machine then he will have a good rep. i found the less complicated the machine the better. not a job i like doing but as things are quieter i am not as fussy.

the going rate up here is 40quid a foot. but stumpbusters get cheaper the more you get them to do. our local guy will stick you on a half or day rate.

You need to find out if its a self propelled model or not. We couldnt do without a SP machine, your work may be different though.

Grinding is easy good money as long as there are plenty of stumps in peeps ways.

£500 is feck all no matter what type of grinder it is as long as it runs well.